anyone with experience with green carpet anemones?

azocean709

I have been curious about a GCA. I have read that they like to move around alot, thus should be provided good moving room. question is...If i get this critter, will it crawl over everything else and kill it? like my shrooms or zoos that are at or near the bottom of the tank? I have a rose bubble tip that has split, but one i sold to LFS and the other says put at the very top that my tomato stays with. I just recently upgraded to 2, 175watt 10,000 K MH, and have been looking at various possibilities for my reef. My LFS has 2 of these bright green carpet anemones that would really add some color to my reef, but everything i have read so far doesnt really give the maintenance and upkeep of these anemones, if they are a royal pain in the butt, what minimum size tank they should be in, or what. would like to get some input from someone that has one or knows these creatures.
thank you

viet-tin

IME the little guy grew real large and began eating everything. Ate my mandarin my tang my derasa and crocea clams snails killed my coral...it grabbed anything and everything it could. I dont think id ever buy another one.

azocean709

HA...my question has been answered...the little related threads came up at the bottom....i think i will stay away from the carpet! LOL

azocean709

Originally Posted by viet-tin
IME the little guy grew real large and began eating everything. Ate my mandarin my tang my derasa and crocea clams snails killed my coral...it grabbed anything and everything it could. I dont think id ever buy another one.
I just read some of the same stories....yeah...im not lookin for a killer..LOL

viet-tin

They are beautiful creatures but I guess my system just wasnt good enough for him. I ended up giving it to a friend that already had one. When I first brought him home he was only 6-7" across. After a few months this guy grow to be over 18" He just reaked havoc on my tank. Think my problem was temp food and flow. Im kinda tempted at trying another one after having those things fixed. :thinking:

azocean709

i don't think my temper could handle it creating havoc in my tank! LOL when i first started getting into this hobby i got myself a florida something anemone and had a brown sweetlips in there with it. not knowing anything at all....it looked cool...till ol clumbsy sweetlips got tangled up in it and it died....I got so mad, ol Florida anemone was a greasy spot on the front door...LOL I do have to say, over the years, i have learned alot of patience and the pUrsuit of knowlegde before i buy if ya know what i mean..LOL thanks again.

lubeck

I have some sort of anemone, I say that because it is still changing color due to improper lighting. He is an awesome anemone and has been through alot. He loves eating shrimp and krill everother day. and my peppermint shrimp host him(underneath him). so far no issues, and he does not move off his rock.

viet-tin

Its good to hear other hobbyists success stories. Ive had success with different types of anemones but recently had an incident with mine and my tunze
Need to find something for my clowns that wont move around so much. A good anemone to consider is the bubble tip. They are considered easy then others and shouldnt move too much after find a perfect place to perch.