anyone with odyssea lights? feedback please!

btwk12

was looking at the 72 inch odyssea lights with 3 250 watt mh's and 4 96 watt pc's just wanting a lil feed back if anyone has any thanks!!!

S

shrimpy brains

Well, my experience with these is from years ago. Maybe they have improved them.
My first tank light was Odysea 48" compact flourescent. Due to ballast burning out in about a month, so was my 2nd, and a month later my 3rd. That was because they replaced it each time, but after the 3rd one, I finally, got a different brand!
Again, this was years ago, they were new, and may have made improvements, but idk.

anjiro

From what I understand from the more modern units, quality of the housing has improved but overall quality of the units and their sustainability has not. I.E. still not worth the money. If I were you, I would either DIY and retrofit or search the bay. Sometimes you can get some good stuff there. And depending on where you live you might do well to check craigs as well

Y

yoshii

I would never buy one again, unless it was the only light left in the world. even then, maybe.
I got one off the bay, cheap, but when I got it, I could just feel the material and I knew it was cheap. The little "legs" dont even stick, and I woulnd't take to flip the light back without holding it. Its really not worth the money, go with something better. Trust me

haktran

btwk,
well I went a head and ordered one, since I read a lot of good reviews about these lights lately. Some got a defective one deliver to them, some got a best light with a good price tag. Will let you know how good it is.

Originally Posted by mattzhawk
http:///forum/post/3272766
Bought the odyssea 760w mh-pc fixture back in March and love it so far
Just bought an Odyssea 2x 250w MH + LED moonlights, and they're beautiful! Hopefully things have improved, cuz this thread scares me a bit!

mattzhawk

Originally Posted by FishyScientist
http:///forum/post/3272784
Just bought an Odyssea 2x 250w MH + LED moonlights, and they're beautiful! Hopefully things have improved, cuz this thread scares me a bit!
I put a small fan blowing across my ballast and they don't even get warm, I've had them since march and no problems, I also heard the last couple years they have improved the ballast and they switched from the magnetic to the electronic ballast. by the way i bought my fan from the hardware dept. at W-mart for like 7 or 8 bucks.

novahobbies

OK, I'll own up. I have these lights over all my tanks - I have a 216 t6 and a 260 pc set covering my 110g tank, and a 130w pc light over my seahorse tank. After 3 years, I've had 1 ballast die on the t6 fixture - but this was one of the fixtures before they made the switch to the t5 lights - so that fixture is running 3 bulbs only. I've never had a problem with either PC fixture. I've spoken to their customer service dept before for tracking information on an order and I've always had good results with calling in. I'm entertaining the thought of getting their new 48 inch MH system for the 110 gallon tank. I'll never say their stuff is 100% top of the line, but neither will I say it's the potential deathtrap that it may or may not have been in the past. I will say that I have been a satisfied customer with my light set for a few years now. And I'm also regretting (a little, teeny bit) not getting the single 99 dollar MH setup for the seahorse tank instead of the PC light - if only for the ripple effect.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3272910
And I'm also regretting (a little, teeny bit) not getting the single 99 dollar MH setup for the seahorse tank instead of the PC light - if only for the ripple effect.

$19 LED strip will fix that

haktran

well, I got the 72" light last night, the sad thing is that my tank is not ready yet, not even setup yet, so I could not use it. But I tested it for about 2 hrs. Very nice and solid fixture. The MH fired up instanly. Surely it generated a lot of head. The light is very bright, the ballast are warm to the touch. So everything look very good. The only thing that I may complain were about the legs. Those legs still hold up the fixture, but they are not what I expected. Over all, it good. I have a confession to make. I have been using Odyssea products for the pass 2-3 years. Used their water pump, used their skimmer, owned 2 set of 48" T5 and all of those equipment are still running good after 2 years. So I think Odyssea is an ok brand to use for people like me, who do not want to spend too much on things that you can have a work around it and spend money on other important thing such as LR/LS, beatiful fishes and lots of coral. That just my opnion.

anjiro

Thats good, maybe these lights are better than the reputation others have granted them. I do agree that lighting in this hobby is incredibly expensive and it is proper to do all that we must to DIY and buy decent priced quality products. I'm glad people have had a decent experience with some of their products, maybe their reputation will improve.

ajroc31

Originally Posted by btwk12
http:///forum/post/3270941
was looking at the 72 inch odyssea lights with 3 250 watt mh's and 4 96 watt pc's just wanting a lil feed back if anyone has any thanks!!!
You know why they cost so little considering what you are getting? Its because they are terrible. A decent lighting system with the same set up would normally cost well over 1k. I went the cheap route few times on the lights, and I got what I paid for. So finally I threw in few more hundred, and I am finally happy. Pay a little, pay alot.

I just wanted to chime in and let you know that if you are buying it off the BAy from some guy named Elvis, out of NOrthern California (San Fran area) you should take heed. The price was right. However, the unit sucks! It was a 48" 2x 250 watt MH + 4 x55 PC, + moonlights.
He advertised the unit with new high quality HQI 20k bulbs which was BS. The two ballasts for the Halide bulbs were weak, tiny little silver ballast that are smaller than the ballast that runs my PCs. The fixture runs hot, i mean HOT! yeah for $350 bux it was okay. I had bad red slime algae growing after 3 months of having this to find out that the main cause of this is that the lights are bad, or have lost their spectrum. I spent 150 bucks on two new bulbs which helped tremendously. After 6 months of having the unit one of the ballasts just completely stopped working. I had to search all over the place to find a replacement because the wiring and quick connect he used is non existent in retail for fish tanks. It's the kind of plug you find on the back of a desktop computer. So, I spent another $200 on a dual ballast figuring the second ballast would burn out soon. So, by this point I am $700 dollars into this fixture. Looking at the similar hamilont units. I should have just gone for that. This guy has changed his name on ---- numerous times, and refused to respond when I asked him to cut me a deal on new bulbs. Since he advertised them as being new, and I only run the halides for 6 hours a day, and mine were shot after 3 months. If you are buying off of the BAy, don't buy this unit. It looks and sounds great in the picture and product description. Cheap bulbs, ballasts, and fans that dont move any hot air from the top of the unit!
Hope this helps. If i could do it again. I'd just have sprung for a nice light system. Oh well, i guess it's the story of the hobby!

kc19

Originally Posted by btwk12
http:///forum/post/3270941
I purchased the same set on ---- for my 125 gal tank about a month ago and have had zero problems. The set cost me 650.00 including the shipping. Very happy with my purchase. The only drawback that I have is that the lights cover almost the entire tank, making access difficult, and they are supper heavy. All in all I think I got a lot of light for not a lot of money.

haktran

KC19, very happy to find out it work out good for you, like I said earlier, I just got a same set of light and very nervous about how it will perform. btwk12 sorry to hijack your thread and thank you for creating this dicussion. By the way, if you or anyone want one, you can check it out at ..........traders site, this set cost me $489 with free shipping.