anyone with the prizsm skimmer

j21kickster

buy a new one:D
I hate them but if it is new- sometimes it takes a little time to break in- If it is old- you may want to check the impeller and replace it or clean it-

cap'n pete

Put water in the "dry chamber", the area where the siphon comes into the unit. Fill it all the way up with plain water. This will cut noise considerably.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Cap'n Pete
Put water in the "dry chamber", the area where the siphon comes into the unit. Fill it all the way up with plain water. This will cut noise considerably.

Cool - thanks for hte tip - mine is not very loud at all ....

black99l

it was a brand new unit that i recieved for christmas, it is louder then everything else i have on the tank combined. I'll try the water in the dry chamber, if that doesn't work then I am going to have to put some serious insulation inside of the hood i am planning on building one day......:jumping:

cap'n pete

Tip #2
You can also cut some of the air noise by building an air muffler.
Take a 20 oz plastic soda bottle, drill a couple of 1/8" holes in it... just a few. Attach a 3 foot or so length of airline from the siphon

[hr]
(replacing the black airline that's there). Put the other end in the bottle, then stuff it with cotton. Then plug up the open barb on the skimmer cup (the spot the airline normally goes).
TaDa... instant redneck reefin'!
I have not done this and I have no idea how much it would reduce noise.... worth a try if it bothers you though.

cprdnick

I just took a bunch of cotton balls and put them in the same place as where you were told to put water. The water is something you have to keep pouring in as it evaporates. I have tried the water method, and it worked well, I barely knew that I had a skimmer on the tank. However, it became annoying to have to continuously replinish the dry chamber.
As for the method introduced by CapN pete, it would certainly quiet it down, but the reason it is noisy when you remove the airline from the open

[hr]
on the collection cup is because it is sucking in air. When it is attatched to the open

[hr]
it is creating a controlled vaccuum inside the collection cup, helping the skimmate up throught the venturi cone. Disconnect this line and watch the bubbles in the cone fall. When you reattatch it the bubbles jump back up to where the suction brings it.

black99l

hey cpr how did the cotton balls work for you? I did put water in the dry chamber and it worked well, but i can see how it would become annoying.

cprdnick

I've had the cotton balls in there since December early. I had noticed a difference in noise, however, unless you wrap the whole skimmer in 100 layers of duct tape it will never be quiet, no matter what you do to it. Just a fair warning.

cprdnick

Mine has been making me want to put a sump on the other side of the wall so it's not in the same room with me, lol.