anyone work at a pet store?

N

nereef

i understand that in the short run, it makes better business sense to just throw them in there(not saying that you personally or your employer does this). but i'm sure that sales would eventually go up for a place with great quality fish that don't die within a week. also, word of mouth would produce a better market in the area.
when i acclimate my own fish, i set it up and just let it run by itself. i really don't spend that much more time doing it right. its not like you have to sit there and watch it drip.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by NEreef
this is a great discussion by the way.
Yep, definitely.
No need to argue, bicker, name call, or get angry when someone has an opposing point of view. This is how you hold a mature discussion. This way, all views can be put out there, people can read them all, and the thread does not get closed in the process (an all too-common thing it seems on this forum).

drewsta

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Yep, definitely.
No need to argue, bicker, name call, or get angry when someone has an opposing point of view. This is how you hold a mature discussion. This way, all views can be put out there, people can read them all, and the thread does not get closed in the process (an all too-common thing it seems on this forum).

N

nereef

i definately see the lfs' side in this matter. i would just like to see what, if any, improvements there would be if the fish were acclimated as they should be.
i suppose the lfs doesn't see a lot of the deaths that are due to their acclimation problems. a fish might die in a costomer's tank two weeks later, and the costomer might not even think about the fish not being acclimated correctly in the first place.

lion_crazz

Well in my case, I acclimate all of my fish properly because I personally guarantee all of my fish. I will not sell a customer an unhealthy fish. If they really want the fish, I make sure they are well aware that the fish is not doing so well, and they are risking it not live by taking it home right then and there. I always make them aware that I can't help them if it passes. I feed every fish before it leaves my store so that I know the fish is eating before it leaves. If the customer comes back and tells me one of the fish I sold them died, I will take care of them as long as their water quality tests out ideal and their acclimation was proper. I stand by my fish, and I am sure this is why many of my customers continue to come back to me loyally.

drewsta

i suppose the lfs doesn't see a lot of the deaths that are due to their acclimation problems. a fish might die in a costomer's tank two weeks later, and the costomer might not even think about the fish not being acclimated correctly in the first place.

Yes but there are alot of variables to consider at this point
Capture/Wholsale side
Acclimation
Feeding
Water Quality
Fish they are housed with
Transit time
Fish store side
Acclimation
Feeding
Water Quality
Customer side

Acclimation
Feeding
Water Quality
Generally you cannot know for sure why a fish died.
Sad but true

N

nereef

that's what i'm talking about! its good to see that the effort and knowledge is not wasted. And you deserve a raise, by the way!

emperor11

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Well in my case, I acclimate all of my fish properly because I personally guarantee all of my fish. I will not sell a customer an unhealthy fish. If they really want the fish, I make sure they are well aware that the fish is not doing so well, and they are risking it not live by taking it home right then and there. I always make them aware that I can't help them if it passes. I feed every fish before it leaves my store so that I know the fish is eating before it leaves. If the customer comes back and tells me one of the fish I sold them died, I will take care of them as long as their water quality tests out ideal and their acclimation was proper. I stand by my fish, and I am sure this is why many of my customers continue to come back to me loyally.
Lion, will you move to Grandville, Michigan?
We truthfully, have no good LFS's. We need someone like you...

I sure hope they pay you well...

N

nereef

Originally Posted by Drewsta
Yes but there are alot of variables to consider at this point
Capture/Wholsale side
Acclimation
Feeding
Water Quality
Transit time
Fish store side
Acclimation
Feeding
Water Quality
Customer side

Acclimation
Feeding
Water Quality
Generally you cannot know for sure why a fish died.
Sad but true
this is all very true. there are countless factors leading to fish death, many of which are not measurable. but i do think that 2 of these 3 sections can be taken care of by the store.
the first is obviously that the store itself does its part. the second is that the store informs its costomers. the lfs can ask: what size tank? how are you acclimating? what are the other fish in the tank? etc

drewsta

very true and I always tell my customers that we will test their water for them. Generally speaking its the uninformed/Know it all customer that has the problems. As with any retail store you have your customers that don't listen and then complain about things i.e. why did my fish die you sold me a sick fish.

lion_crazz

I absolutely agree. You also always have the people that have to buy damsels to cycle their tank because they NEED to see fish in their tank. I had someone buy 13 damsels today for their new 55 gallon because they didn't want to use shrimp, rock, fish food to cycle their tank.
There is nothing you can do about customers like this. The most you can do is provide information and knowledge.

N

nereef

lol. so it goes with the retail. i totally understand.
its interesting to here the story from 3 different points of veiw: costomer, salesman, and both
it really has everything to do with the owner. employees just do what they are told. there are bad mechanic shops too.

lion_crazz

lit really has everything to do with the owner. employees just do what they are told. there are bad mechanic shops too.
Not always. When I arrived at my store, I did things a little different from what was recommended by the owner and what was considered "normal" for that store, and fish began looking better and selling more. From an owner's standpoint, you cannot really argue with results and sales.

puffer9006

i work at a fish store and all we do is let them sit in the water for 20 or 30min and let them go. ive tried to get them to change but i dont own the store.

N

nereef

that's true when someone like yourself comes in and works. a lot of lfs employees, at least from what i see, are just kids with no knowledge looking for a part-time job. they just do what the boss tells them to. it's the managers job to hire someone that knows fish. also, the manager will have to pay the kid with no knowledge less than he/she would someone like yourself.

zanoshanox

I work at a pet store and the float the bags for about 20 min and then open the bags and let in a little bit of water every 10-15 minutes or so, not the best method, but could be worse...Not very many casualties either.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Lion, will you move to Grandville, Michigan?
We truthfully, have no good LFS's. We need someone like you...

I sure hope they pay you well...

I don't have a decent lfs either. The one by my house acclimates linckias for a half hour!! :mad:

N

nereef

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
I work at a pet store and the float the bags for about 20 min and then open the bags and let in a little bit of water every 10-15 minutes or so, not the best method, but could be worse...Not very many casualties either.
that's not bad. it's not too far from dripping.