anything i can do?

cdangel0

Most people here - and elsewhere - only refer to specific gravity as it and salinity change in conjunction with one another.
Shoot for a SG of 1.025.

susie&jeran

Originally Posted by Cdangel0
Most people here - and elsewhere - only refer to specific gravity as it and salinity change in conjunction with one another.
Shoot for a SG of 1.025.
Thank you - I like the quick & simple answer :)

cdangel0

Originally Posted by susie&jeran
Thank you - I like the quick & simple answer :)

Me too - unfortunately in this hobby there usually isn't a quick and simple answer. It usually consists of 20 things completely dependent on one another to co-habitate in perfect equilibrium in order to achieve sucess.
Urchins are very sensitive and do need to be drip acclimated for a long time. If I am not mistaken the instyructions on the SWF website say to drip for 1 hour - I generally find with inverts they need 2-4hours to acclimate effectively (edit: looks like you did that - sorry I missed that in your post)
. Some are hardier then others, it sounds like you got one that is just not addapting well.
Really all you can do now is wait and hope.

reefkprz

the picture on the hydrometer your showing Has specific gravity written on the same side as the numbers as for it (right side)
the salinity is labled on the left it should also say that but I cant see it in the picture.
fish dont mind the higher SG. I would advise having your tank around SG 1.025 to 1.026. this will also help keep your trace elements higher if you have corals.

cam78

I had the Deep Six now its deep in the garbage. It was SO off it was unreal. I would bring a water sample to the LFS and see for sure what your salinity is. Then go from there.

petjunkie

I agree with CAM78, when I was using a plastic hydometer it said my sg was at 1.025 and the refractometer said it was 1.031 so double check with a refratometer if you can before raising too much, can you have your water tested at a fish store? Your testing said the nitrite was at .25, have you checked ammonia, there should be no nitrite but it may be a bad reading, how long has your tank been set up?