{aor of True Percula's fighting

mimo

I just added a pair of True Perc's yesterday. One of them is picking on the other badly. I took the bully out and put him in the fuge. Is this normal?

mimo

Oh ok. I've been pissed all morning. LoL. I hate it when fish fight each other. Thanks man. :jumping:

mimo

Is there anyway to tell? The one who is being picked on is not fighting back at all. He shakes every once in a while as if he's saying "I surrender!". I don't understand why he stays right next to the bully. Why doesn't he try to swim away and give the other one some space?

kittykitty

Were they paired up and not fighting when you got them at the fish store? Sounds like they are exhibiting all of the behavior of a normal clown pair. The female chases/bites the smaller clown (the male) and the male sort of does a "dance" to the female. It's all about keeping the female's dominance, so the male doesn't turn into a female. (it's kinda confusing.)

mimo

I actually had them shipped so I don't know how they were kept. Also, they started doing this as soon as I put them in the bucket to acclimate them! The smaller one already has small nips in his fins. I feel bad for him.
One more thing, the bully (larger one) has thicker black bands than the smaller one (presumably the male). Is that one way to tell between males or females or is just a normal variable between fish to fish?

bang guy

The larger of your pair is the female and the smaller is the male. The male will always get picked on, it's part of their normal life. If he's not fighting back then he won't get picked on as much.
Just let them work it out, it's normal. The nipped fins will heal faster than you can believe.
If you had two females they would both be fighting.

mimo

Wow, you guys made me feel so much better. I've been stressing over it all morning. I will pair them up again tonight and let them be. I'll keep you updated. Thanks everyone!

BTW, do you think these clowns will be fine without an anemone? They are both wild caught so I think they were ued to hosting with one in the wild. I have a 55 gallon tank about 5-6 weeks old. It's been cyled for a while now. I used 6 damsels to cyle it with (didn't know better) and I removed them (back to the LFS) yesterday when I introduced the clowns. I have a Sun-Tek 4x55 watt T5 hood with 2 Blue plus bulbs and 2 6500K bulbs. Do you think I could keep an anemone? Maybe a BTA?