Apastasia (sp?)

pthoma79

I got a green eye zoo frag from my LFS today, and I just noticed what looks like a very small apastasia (sp?) on it. I have heard of joes juice, but would like to avoid buying it for just a very small (maybe 1/4-1/2") problem. There is only one that I can see. I just don't want it to turn into a problem. Can I leave it, or will it spread?

shoregirl2

You don't have to use Joe's Juice, I've heard of others using, boiling hot water, kalwasser do a thread search on aiptasia.
Remember though it might not be a small problem. I got some striped mushrooms from a friend, a week later, I noticed one small aiptasia on it, she gave me some joe's juice, and we took care of it, 2 weeks later I noticed one of the mushrooms came off the rock, I looked and found another aip, so I went and bought "Aiptasia Control" from my LFS, it killed it, but now the mushrooms are looking terrible, so I checked again and found #3 in a different spot.
Don't wait to long to do something, they grow and can spread very fast.

flricordia

You can also take a super glue gel tube and stick the end into where the anemone withdraws, squirt some in, leave it int he water for an hour or two and pluck the hardened super glue gel plug out along with the anemone that is embedded within.

matt b

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2538552
You can also take a super glue gel tube and stick the end into where the anemone withdraws, squirt some in, leave it int he water for an hour or two and pluck the hardened super glue gel plug out along with the anemone that is embedded within.
I remember you telling someone this and I tried it and it worked GREAT!!

natclanwy

Definetly don't wait, Joes juice is not a bad thing to have around even if you only have one now you may get some later and then you will have it on hand. You can mix up some kalkwasser too which is all joes juice is anyway. I have pics of my tank full of aptasia somewhere on here and that outbreak started with one anemone that my wife convinced me to keep cause she thought is was cute and thougt it was cruel to just kill it
. The things we do for the ones we love

keri

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2538552
The Superglue company should pay you! You have a use for it for everything!!
(all good uses too!)

pthoma79

OK, I'll try the superglue trick...
Do I put the tube into the tank, or do I take the rock out and squirt glue into it while it is out of the water? Seems to me the glue wouldn't be good for the tank, but I'm sure you know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

jwhiteuwc

Yes, don't wait. my 1 little Apastasia turned into 5-12 of them in a month. I've tried joe's juice and it works OK. They seem to die off, but come back a few weeks later. I have a huge Apastasia problem now. I purchased some peperment shrimp, but I have to get rid of the big ones first. The Apastasia replicate like you wouldn't believe.

mie

Pep shrimp in most cases will work, mine ate about two hundred heads in two weeks time, just be aware that your pep shrimp could start eating your zoanthid's.

dischirm

The problem with just pulling them off is that if any tiny piece is left, it will grow back.
I had never heard of the super glue idea. Sounds interesting!
Good luck!