Aphtasia problem

raedyaghnam

Hi again. I am at the start of an aphtasia (sorry for the wrong spelling). I have tried joes juice but found out that the more you use it the more aphtasia grows around the one that joes juice was used on. After some research I got a copper banded butterfly but it has not been eating any of the aphtasia. The butterfly has been in the main tank for about 10 days now but has not even noticed the aphtasia. Three questions: 1- how can i get rid of the aphtasia since it is multiplying at an alarming rate, 2- is there anyhting that triggers its growth? and 3- why isnt the butterfly eating them? I would really appreciate all the advice i can get.
Thanks in advance

mantisman51

Peppermint shrimp are great for small aiptasia. If the aiptasia are in deep crevices the boiling water trick isn't very effective. They will get burned but come back later-I had this happen twice. Get AiptasiaX or Aiptasia Control. I have used the Aiptasia Control and it has worked for all the larger aiptasia. I have read that you can make the stuff from kalkwasser, but for $10 it lasts for several dozen large aiptasia.

I have a CB, peppermint shrimp, you name it and none of them have ever messed with the aptasia.
I got a straight syringe with a needle and a curved syringe (I work in a hospital) and I have yet to find any aptasia or majanos I couldn't and didn't eradicate.

raedyaghnam

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/3030463
I have a CB, peppermint shrimp, you name it and none of them have ever messed with the aptasia.
I got a straight syringe with a needle and a curved syringe (I work in a hospital) and I have yet to find any aptasia or majanos I couldn't and didn't eradicate.

What did you use in the syringe?

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by raedyaghnam
http:///forum/post/3030582
What did you use in the syringe?
Lots of fish store websites sell syringes for specifically for this use. I have long tip straight ones, 45 degree angle ones and 90 degree angle ones. I mix a little kalkwasser and water mix. Just a small amount but a thick mix. With the different angle syringes I can get to most all of mine and it works great. Good luck.

jackri

My peppermint shrimp never touched mine -- but it never spread so maybe they took care of the small aiptasia... I've tried a heavy dose of kalk solution... and they survived.. heavily bleached out but came back after a heavy coating. Guess I'll have to try again. I just have one though so it's hardly on my mind when I can get to it.

raedyaghnam

I have orderred Aiptaisa Control from Amazon. I hope it works. jackri I would take care of it as son as possible since these things do tend to multiply very quickly and before you know it they pop up all over the place...that is how mine started!!!

dondemi

Has anyone ever had a Berghia Nudibranch? They supposedly feed on aiptasia. My PS never touched them & joe's juice always worked for me.

unleashed

I tried the joes juice yrs ago yes it worked on the aptasia it touched but when i accidentally touched a snail with it and it melted i decided to go a more natural route and let the fish do the work for me

I had a garden of aiptasia and added a copperband butterfly. Within two weeks the aiptasia was all gone. There may be some throughout my tank still but my butterfly takes care of it. The horror stories of the copperband I hear often yet this may be one of my favorite fish that now eats regular food as well.

hlcroghan

I used the aiptasia x and it worked very well. Killed the large one that I had and my peppermints took care of the rest of them.....