API copper test kit - water sample turned clear

tigerbarb

Hello. When I tested my 55g for copper, and waited a good 30 minutes for the color of the test tube to develop, the water in the test tube stayed clear. I've tested the water twice. What do you think this means? Could it simply mean that there is no copper in my tank?
Thanks,
Tigerbarb

small triggers

Im assuming since you tested for it you had run copper in your tanks before? and then what did you do to get rid of it? If nothing, then your test may be wrong. Do you have LR and LS in there (and where they in there when there WAS copper in the tank?)
Or if youve never put copper in your test and you are testing to see if you have any copper leach out from pipes or city water then it could easily be right.

geoj

Originally Posted by Tigerbarb
http:///forum/post/3044973
Hello. When I tested my 55g for copper, and waited a good 30 minutes for the color of the test tube to develop, the water in the test tube stayed clear. I've tested the water twice. What do you think this means? Could it simply mean that there is no copper in my tank?
Thanks,
Tigerbarb
The test is not precise enough to read copper at natural seawater levels 0.003ppm and is tough to read at treatment levels

tigerbarb

I'm testing because I used a copper medication in my tank.
To get rid of the copper, I used a toxic metal sponge product.
There were no rocks or sand in the tank when I tested it.

srfisher17

I never could read an API copper test.If you use copper; I really like SeaChem Cuprimine. You should always use a test kit from the same mfg, so use a SeaChem copper test kit. SeaChem Cuprisorb is great at removing copper and can be recharged easily. Carbon, and carbon base "sponges" do a good job removing carbon; but should not be used again. Cuprisorb will last forever.