apstasia fear

ishmael

I am trying to cycle a new 55 gal.tank. One week ago I added live rock. The only signs of life so far are a few thin anemone -like growths spiraling (1/2 inch) and one thicker growth (one inch long). Should I just sit back and observe since I don't even know what they are or should I assume they are the dreaded apstasia and nuke em. I'd hate to get rid of something wonderful but everyone seems so anti-apstasia....
thanks

q

The reason people don't like them is because they grow like a weed and can pop up next to a coral that you have and start to sting it which could kill it.
With out a pic can't say for sure but sounds like it probably is. It's your tank so it is your choice to keep them or not.
[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Plato ]

azzala

If it is apstasia I would take care of it quickly. I had one, now I have a tank full. I hated to kill anything living in the tank but now I wish I had done something earlier. It is your tank but the anti apstasia attitude is justified by their rapid proliferation. At this point I cannot even add other anemone or coral, every rock is host to the pest.

miner

What is a good way to get rid of these pests?? I got a new rock 4 weeks ago, and now there is just one. I don't want to have more. What is the easiest and best way ?? Do they sting people too?? If not, I will just grab it.
Thanksmarym1Peoplepc.com

nosmada

dont grab it, if it bursts you will have plenty more to deal with. use a syringe with either kalk or a warm extreamly salty mixture and inject it right into the center of them. or you can get a peppermint shrimp.
hth,
chris

ishmael

Thanks for your help. The picture on that websight is the best aid. I really think this Message Board is wonderful.
--Bob :)

kc2jdg

get rid of it while you can! my tank had single aptasia that quickly grew rather large. cool. until suddenly my tank became an aptasia farm. i tried to inject boiling water and chems from the lfs with minimal affect, esp on the small ones. other than trashing the infested rocks, the most succesful method i've found: set a rock in a bucket of water; use a sharp paring knife and heavy-duty papertowel to cut and wipe them off. watch your levels closely after.

kc2jdg

and by the way, the won't sting you, but they are quick to retract and extremely slimey. that's why i use a papertowel.

avacyn

Some people seem to have some success with boiling water injections, but most folks find those are hard to do correctly. Do 'em wrong and you only aggravate the little suckers!
Peppermint shrimp (not to be confused with camel shrimp) will eat them up. They are the safest way to remove apatasiapests from your tank. Peppermints are nice little guys and good tank housekeepers.
Avacyn

miner

I read in the latest "Sea Scope" from my LFS that Black Banded Butterfly fish will eat them. They also said the fish was reef safe. Will not eat my Corals. I can't find any info about this anywhere. Has anyone ever checked this out ?? marym1@peoplepc.com :confused:

jmsullivan

I have the same problem with thes pesky things and they just keep coming back, I had a peppermint shrimp and he killed 2 of my gobies and I caught him snapping at my other fish, is this normal. Also if he eats aptasias (how large of ones will he eat?) would he eat any other corals or annomies?

@knight

my advice is to inject the ones you can see with kalk and get a couple peppermint shrimps to play clean-up on the ones you dont know about yet. For every one you have, you have 5 getting ready to pop up. these things reproduce faster than rabbits.

@knight

how'd the peppermint shrimp get gobies???
Ive never seen a pappermint get aggressive, perhaps the gobies got sick or killed by something else and the shrim was just doing his job being a scavenger.

javajoe

I have 2 tiny apstasias and am thinking of getting a peppermint shrimp to take care of them. what i am wondering though, is what does the shrimp eat once he takes care of them? And will he find them pretty quickly?
And finally, what is the best way to acclimate the shrimp to the tank?

kimmisue

Sounds like you had a nija peppermint shrimp.
In my 55 I have 5 of them and NO aptasia's.
One or two never did the job. I had to get more.
You will love them and never know they are there.
Kim