Aptaisia (Not a "How do I get rid of it")

brandons

I have what i'm 98% sure is a small aptasia growing on my new LR. If I left it grow, how fast would it propogate around the tank?
Reason I was asking is because my tank is still cycling and if it isn't going to spread much I'll just tackle it with a clean-up crew that I'd otherwise need to buy anyway.
Oh 75g w/ 20g sump. Thanks

T

tizzo

It spreads very fast, and a clean up crew won't touch it. If you only have 1 use joes juice on it before it's to late!!

brandons

thanks that's what i was looking for. It's varies between the size of a pencil eraser (usually if the lights are on) to around 1" long. When it's extended it wasn't standing, kind of just laying there on the rock.

mryoung7

agreed with the others - better safe than sorry. but fyi, i had it on one rock for a couple of months before it started spreading. then the peppermint shrimp i added wiped it out in a day.

brandons

thanks for the link. one more question. can these things move. I swear in the past 45 minutes it moved 1" from where it's been and then moved back to close to wear it was. It now has some white stuff stuck to the top of it. I'm assuming it's eating.
This is the best picture I could manage to get of it.

brandons

I turned the lights out and when I looked it had moved about 1/2" away from where it was. I took the opportunity to suck it off the rock with a turkey baster. Worked fairly well.
It had white stringy stuff coming out of the top of it. Was this sperm? Can that grow into new ones by itself?