aptasia!!! and pep shrimp.

bracebldrs

well 3weeks ago i posted questions bout aptasia
my55g has 20 little ones and my 125g has 2 big ones
every body gave sugestions and i decided to try the
pepermint shrimp in the 55 .nothing on the first week.
looked like the shrimp didnt settle in yet . 2nd week
some aptasia were disapearing by the 3rd week all
were gone but one .these aptasia were sizes from a
BB to a dime .im told though that they wont eat the big ones
and the 2 in the 125 are about the size of a silver dollar
one is brushing up against a feathwer duster.guess i better
get a syringe.but for the heck of it i threw a pep shrimp
in the 125.any body else have good luck with peps?

doglvr

I have 3 PS in a 30 gallon & so far have not noticed them eating the Aptasia that is visible. They don't venture out much since I put a Coral Beauty in the tank!

sea slug

I have 3 peps in my 75 gal I never feed them so they have to scrounge for food ***) I have never seen any aptesia in my tank
or maby it's just luck

hemicj

ther probly scared of coral beuty. they wont eat huge aptasia unless there huge pepermints. i would turn off pumps and hit them with some joes juice. i have 1 peprmint in 29 gal and never have had aptasia problem

bawood

I had a huge aiptasia problem early on because I didn't know they were a problem. 3 weeks with a camel shrimp and they were gone. That guy devoured them.
Peps are similar to camels but generally people say they are less likely to get the aiptasia, I think they will eventually, but you may not want to wait.

zanski

pepps in most cases wont eat large aptasia. They will destroy the small ones though. Oh by the way, watch your polyps if you have them. keep your pepps fed or you will start seeing your polyps dissapear.

cgrant

My wife is a nurse a she had a Syringe (no needle) and i just sucked it off the rock, its been ~ 3weeks and no sign of them.
You can also get really hot water and squirt then with a Syringe.
Not sure if you can buy a syringe at a drug store or not? You would think so!

doody00

Originally Posted by CGRANT
My wife is a nurse a she had a Syringe (no needle) and i just sucked it off the rock, its been ~ 3weeks and no sign of them.
You can also get really hot water and squirt then with a Syringe.
Not sure if you can buy a syringe at a drug store or not? You would think so!
You can buy syringes at a local farm or feed store if there's one close.

nick76

Originally Posted by doglvr
I have 3 PS in a 30 gallon & so far have not noticed them eating the Aptasia that is visible. They don't venture out much since I put a Coral Beauty in the tank!
in my 55 gallon would I be wise not to add a coral beauty and get a dwarf bi-color instead, if i already have 3 peps in the tank. will he really try to kill them? Also Large Feather dusters and peps will that mix?

doglvr

Originally Posted by Nick76
in my 55 gallon would I be wise not to add a coral beauty and get a dwarf bi-color instead, if i already have 3 peps in the tank. will he really try to kill them? Also Large Feather dusters and peps will that mix?
One morning, one of my Peps decided to venture out from the rocks, on to the sand, in clear view. On the other side of the tank was the Coral Beauty. The instant that CB saw the pep, it was across the tank and followed it into the rocks too! It was a very CLOSE call. Shrimp are a major food source for all meating eating fish. If they can catch them, they will eat them. All 3 Peppermints are still living in the tank after 2 weeks. My LR offers them a ton of fish safe zones that the CB can't get too. With the CB in the tank, I just don't see them as much. My Hawaiian Feather Duster is living in the tank with the peps, with no problems thus far.