aptasia problem

cocoboy821

hey ya'll we just read a post about aptasias being bad. we didnt realize thats what they are so we haven't thought to ask since we have random feather dusters in our tank.
is there any way of getting rid of them?
and why are they considered bad?

psibabi21

Aptasias are similar to a dandylion...they look cool...except if you see too many of them...they grow like weeds...and will kill your grass. Aptasias can sting and kill some corals, and are just more of a neusance for reef tanks than anything.
If you have an all fish tank, and like the way they look I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise most places will tell you to use "joe's juice". If you try to pull them out they will spore and spread...there are a couple diffrent ways to get rid of them if you only have a few.

cocoboy821

ours is a reef tank.. we already have a cleaner and a banded shrimp.. would we need just one pepperment? or 2 or 3?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by cocoboy821
ours is a reef tank.. we already have a cleaner and a banded shrimp.. would we need just one pepperment? or 2 or 3?
i bought 10 for my 90 my aptasia was gone in a weak

polarbear1

Originally Posted by reefreak29
if u have a reef tank buy some peppermint shrimps
Yes reefreak is right, not only great for your problem but also good add to the clean up crew. You could also try a copperband, most people have trouble keeping alive after food source runs out.
I put 5 in my 120 gone in 2weeks max.

reefreak29

so for a 75 gallon we should get 3 or 4? and what does the copperband do?
copperbands are very fragile and finicky eaters , get 5 peppermints there pretty cheap, if your picking tem out yourself at an lfs get the smaller ones , the younger ones eat the aptasia , also your sg should be at least 1.025 forinverts

cocoboy821

our cleaner is atleast 2 1/2 inches and banded close to that. the cleaner has eaten (maybe killed) two other cleaners. would the pepperments be another wonderful meal?

reefreak29

our cleaner is atleast 2 1/2 inches and banded close to that. the cleaner has eaten (maybe killed) two other cleaners. would the pepperments be another wonderful meal?
shrimps would only eat each other if there dying imo