Aptasia problem

flower

I just noticed an aptasia...what critter can I get to eat them? The peppermint shrimp says temps at 75 to 82...my 90g is at 67...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470443
I just noticed an aptasia...what critter can I get to eat them? The peppermint shrimp says temps at 75 to 82...my 90g is at 67...
The only cold saltwater shrimp I have found is a prawn. I can't find any info on if they eat aptasia.

flower

Can a small matted filefish live with SHs or be able to stand 67 degree temps...Help me someone.

novahobbies

Otherwise as long as u slowly acclimate him, a peppermint shrimp can handle that temp. I think. Hard to research,I'm on my kindle right now.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470449
If it's just one,why don't u Joe's juice it? Nothing wrong with that...
I plan to pick some Joes juice here in a minute...but if there is one...more are coming. I need an action plan. I have been trying to find a compatilbe fish too...I have searched all kinds of New Zealand fish and Southeastern Australian coastal fish (where Pots hail from)...all I can find are food fish.

rickross23

Get Aiptasia x. I love my Kleins butterflyfish...he MIPS at all the rocks and eats Aiptasia, yet hes reed safe!

2quills

Aren't peps typically considered a cooler water species?
Edit: Didn't realize that there are a few different types of shrimp that people call pepermint shrimp. The cool water ones don't go for the aiptasia. :(

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470463
Aren't peps typically considered a cooler water species?
Everything I read says 72 to 80 degrees...67...I don't want to put my arm in the tank to zap the aptasia...{{{shiver}}}
Rickross...I don't need reef safe, I need seahorse and cold saltwater safe.

rickross23

Wear gloves to zap em! Haha sorry. Didn't know your tank a horse tank.. love my Kleins though...be picks algae off my snails and keeps the rock semi clean haha. I'd say gloves and Aiptasia x will do the job...

kiefers

I have heard of aquarist using several different method for controling aptasia problems. Obviously the pep shrimp may not handle the colder climate of your seahorse tank but these methods are documented to help if you are willing to consider them.
Some folks use kalk. They mix it up to a thick paste and suck it up in a test kit suringe. Turn off all pumps and filter and get them as you would with Joes Juice. You have to watch your pH however.
Some use a torch BBQ lighter and burn the bugers. Take out the rock, grab your wind proof BQ lighter and burn the critter. You will kiil off around a dime sized area on your rock but it recovers quickly.
The other sure way to watch for Aptasia is too, and I'm sorry to add this yet again....... QT everything. Atleast during QT you can add the shrimp to control the population if needed. Then add the rock to your horse tank.
JMO

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470500
The other sure way to watch for Aptasia is too, and I'm sorry to add this yet again....... QT everything. Atleast during QT you can add the shrimp to control the population if needed. Then add the rock to your horse tank.
JMO
I don't know where the aptasia came from...this was a sterile tank
...the rock was my own...and aptasia free to start with, then soaked in freshwater and dried to make sure nothing was alive. The aptasia is attached to the fake root in the center of the tank. The resin roots were purchased new, so how could they have anything on them? The sand was washed out in freshwater so nothing could live. The sump was completely cleared of water and refilled first with fresh (RO) before the salt was even added.
The only thing more to be added to the tank are a few giant shells that are dry as bone can be...and livestock. The tank has been sitting critter free for over a month and cycling....somehow it all seems a bit cruel to Joes juice zap a critter that survived all that.........not.
I will zap it with Joes juice, then get a peppermint shrimp to see if it can survive the cold. I just added my CUC today....2 of the horses arive Thursday...I'm not sure why the other breeder is dragging his fee,t but it might be next Tuesday before I get the last two...He called me, and said he had some issue with fed X he had to get straightened out.

novahobbies

Aptaisia polyps can and do come in on macroalgaes. They can also survive some pretty surprising climate issues -- even if the macros were just shipped "damp," I wouldn't be surprised if an aptasia bud still made it.
Juice that mofo.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470526
Aptaisia polyps can and do come in on macroalgaes. They can also survive some pretty surprising climate issues -- even if the macros were just shipped "damp," I wouldn't be surprised if an aptasia bud still made it.
Juice that mofo.
LOL...I never thought about the macros...That has to be it. I hadn't seen any in the 56g because I have the peppermints....I will try to acclimate a pep today and see if he can make it in the new cold tank. The macros were shipped like coral...I discarded the water
Tribillions of centuries...long after the Earth had dried into a prune...the only sign of life on the planet is going to cockroaches on land, and aptasia that grows the moment you add water...
OMG..I just heard a knock on my door...My seahorses are here!!! I wasn't expecting them until tommorrow...let me get my camera..and I will post them on my Pot Belly thread!.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470576
Peppermints aren't going to eat Aiptasia most likely if your feeding the horses.
I have never had any aptasia after adding peppermint shrimp....before I added the shrimp I spotted an aptasia spout almost everyday and as fast as I zapped them with Joes juice...another would come up in another spot. I believe in pappermint shrimp.

rickross23

Just keep gettin em...once you have them, its very hard to completely eradicate them...gotta keep em in check.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470604
Just keep gettin em...once you have them, its very hard to completely eradicate them...gotta keep em in check.
I zapped the one bugger and I am getting some peppermints ASAP. LFS said next Friday he will have some in. I ordered more macros too, and if that what they hitchhicked on...well, I need me some peppermint shrimp..

rickross23

Y? They are the most reclusive shrimp and did me nothing about Aiptasia....I had tiny ones they didn't even touch...whats their use? I have 3 in my tank that I don't know if their dead or alive since I've never seen them since I put them in the tank....what's good about them?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross23 http:///t/391372/aptasia-problem#post_3470649
Y? They are the most reclusive shrimp and did me nothing about Aiptasia....I had tiny ones they didn't even touch...whats their use? I have 3 in my tank that I don't know if their dead or alive since I've never seen them since I put them in the tank....what's good about them?
Are you sure you got peppermints and not camel shrimp? I heard folks mix them up all the time. They are night feeders and if you have moonlights you can see your shrimp feed. I don't feed my shrimp, I make them work for their meals. I only feed my seahorses....everything else in the tank gets leftovers.
I had aptasia in the 90g as a reef, in the 56g seahorse tank and in the 30g I used to have...peppermints were added and the aptasia went away. I zapped the big ones with Joes juice and then added the shrimp. On the newly set up 90g I find one and I took action...it is zapped and I am getting some peps ASAP