Aptasia Question

trebor126

Well I posted a question on how to attach a pic to my message on this BB, so I could see if someone could identify a creature on my live rock.. No one replied... So..
After doing a search on the web, I come to the conclusion it is aptasia. I have read that they are not desired in a reef tank, but are they alright to keep in a FOWLR tank? The one I have is about 1.5" in diameter. It looks pretty cool, but I don't know if will hurt any fish I plan to put in.
Please help... :)

S

sinner's girl

i don't think it will hurt the fish, they never hurt ours. they can reporduce fast, so you may end up with them all over your tank
peppermint shrimp will get rid of them as will other methods - search and you'll find out how.
in our creature and lr tank we let them grow and live-it added to things.
ps-how to post a pic is listed in the FAQ and archives board-if i remember correctly

kev

Thats what I was thinking when I discovered them in my tank. I think they are pretty cool looking... who cares if they cover the whole tank if they look cool :D . lol

trebor126

Thanks for the advice.. It is prety big and cool looking, so I guess I will just keep an eye on it when I put fish in.. I did see another coming out of some rock that is 1/4 the size. I will get a peppermint shrimp to keep things under control...
Thanks again for all the help :D

brian'sreef

If your aptasia problem get's out of hand which is possible esp. in a reef tank the nudibranch called bergia is a good way to go ..one problem with them is they're rather pricely and only eat apasia so once it's gone they may die.. for more info ..check out <a href="http://www.inlandaquatics.com.." target="_blank">www.inlandaquatics.com..</a>
brian..

crazyelvis

I thought they looked pretty cool myslef , until I saw how fast they spread...
The pep. shrimp might eat the small ones , but rarely touch the lager...
To rid yourself of the larger one , take some Kent Turbo Calcium... Mix it with water, make it kind of thick... put it in a syringe(about 3 cc) and shoot it into the Aptasia ...
I did this and mine were gone instantly..

trebor126

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a clean up crew and included are 2 Peppermint shrimp. I only see the one very large one, and one small. Hopefully the shrimp will keep all in check..
Thanks again for all the help :D

josh

Hi,
Well, get yourself a pep shrimp or just go hunting. Get a syringe ( which can be tricky ) or just use a turkey baster and boil water and then inject the vermin with it! Then sit back and enjoy it't untimely death :) Using kalk paste also works, but since I don't use kalk the boiling water usually does the trick.
HTH
-Josh-

trebor126

Thanks again for all the help. I put 3 peppermint shrimp in today. I will see how they do, before I go on to the other suggestions.