aptasia?

mbrands

Can someone confirm for me that aptasia do NOT have the ability to move in and out of live rock, similar to how a featherduster does?
I found what I believe to be a new featherduster in my live rock. It is predominantly white with small red spots. If a fish moves by it, it sort of ducks back into the rock like its hiding.
Thanks!

mbrands

I'll try. Its pretty small. What is the best method of getting rid of it. I've only found this one small head/piece.

mbrands

Originally posted by Salty Cheese
Sounds like a harmless feather duster.

Thats what I'm hoping for!!! I took 4 pictures, but my digital camera loses focus on things that small. I'd get a better one, but I've spent all my money on this tank.

mbrands

bigarn & Salty,
Does aptasia "disappear" into a white tube or would that definitely make it a featherduster?
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get a clear picture. I realize how difficult that makes to get a postive ID. Thank you both for trying to help!!

fishieness

try serching it online for a ppicture. Try to see if you have it there. i still recomend you try to get an ID here first though, just incase. But if it is in fact aptasia, you can fill a seringe (i dont know how to spell it so lets jsut say a needle) full of lemon juice and hot water and inject it into the center. Then you can get pepermint shrimp that will eat the remains after it dies so the tenticals arent floating around. That is a pretty much free remedie that suposedly works

mbrands

Originally posted by fishieness
try serching it online for a ppicture.

Thanks for the suggestion. After looking through several websites from a google search I'm still confident it is a featherduster (or now maybe a fan worm).
Thank you all! :D

salty cheese

Originally posted by mbrands
Does aptasia "disappear" into a white tube

no
Originally posted by mbrands

or would that definitely make it a featherduster?

yup

jedi

yup sounds like a duster to me too....
But for your info. If it was aptasia, i would get a couple peppermint shrimp in the tank. They cleaned mine out completely and i have never seen any again..
Jedi

kdfrosty

I pulled the rock from my tank while water was boiling. Filled a syringe, and squirted boiling water on to aptasia. No more. This is especially effective if your tank is still cycling, and you cant add peppermint shrimp yet

mbrands

Thanks for your help! I'd been thinking about a few peppermint shrimp for cleaning purposes anyway, so I appreciate the suggestion Jedi!

jedi

No problem. SWF.com has a nice deal on them right now.
I am ordering 5 more just cause I like em in my tank.
Good Luck.
Jedi

mbrands

I'd only have to order 23 (2-10 packs & 3 individually) to get to $79.

I think I'll wait until I need to order more items. :D