Aptasia?

y2says

Can anyone post a picture of these guys. I think I have them in my 35g reef and if it's what I think they are, I want to get rid of them. Thanks.

jodeman

Thanx for posting the pic ijji. I've got several in my tank, guess I'll start looking for something to eat them.

predator

Save yourself some money.My girlfriend had this problem in her tank and we took a syringe full of scalding hot water and shot it in the mouth of the aptasia and it took care of the problem permanently!!!

jtoliver

The hot water method does work if they are easy to get to, but many times they are not in a convenient place. In that case go get a pepermint shrimp that should take care of it.

fish fry

Cool thanks for the picture. I removed one from my tank the other day, and i have just noticed another one. How quickly do they reproduce? If I get this last one out will I have to worry about new ones. Also how large do they get. The two that I have are about a 1/4 inch.
Later
Fish Fry

lionfish

LionFish says.......
Recently I had a small outbreak of them in my reef. I've dealt with them before and they can do serious damage so get it taken care of quickly before they have a chance to really multiply. They spread rapidly and sting corals badly and can even grow all over the glass. I agree with the water method the most. It is easy and for the most part efficient except in the case of them being in a hard-to-reach spot. In that case you could use the shrimp but I warn people that once those shrimp have eaten those aptasias they need a new source of food and if you have any polyps it will soon start munching on polyps. Although this isn't always the case it can happen. I strongly urge the hot water method over the shrimp.

y2says

This is strange. I don't think I have these things, but on my yellow polyps rock, there seems to be some pinkish polyp-like things growing. They look like yellow polyps, but has less tentacles. Is this another type of polyps that grew on the same rock? I also have some really small brown ones too on another rock. They're so small, it's hard for me to compare it to the picture. Thanks for the picture by the way.