Aptasia?

michaeltx

hey bang guy thanks for the ID on them mushroom things I have them all over in my tank and they usually are out at night was going to try to get a pic tongiht for ID but now I dont have to LOL
Mike

badasstang

If that is aptasia...mine is not. Mine is brown/rust for the most part with very short tentacles...unless there is more than one type...

badasstang

Alright, this is what my mystery anenomes look like. Rust color (very small, like 1/5 inch I would guess), the base of the tentacles are white, and the tips of the tentacles are green, in between the base and tips are the rust.
I just want to know if they are aptasia because I am finding more and more every day. And I have heard that aptasia is bad, but what is so bad about them? And what is a good/easy way of getting rid of them?
Please let me know, I don't want a tank full of these critters if they are bad!

timo

Last week I got a cleaner shrimp. Since this thread I've gone to the tank to check out my several small aptasias there . They're all gone! (Except the big one above). I've read here cleaners eat them, so now I'm thinking it's true!:cool:
BTW, the shrimp left the "Carribean Mushroom" thing alone.

badasstang

TimO, what kind of shrimp did you get to do this? I have one peppermint (had two, but the one is MIA). The only thing this one does though is stay underneath the rock in a secluded area, until I feed and he comes out and grabs a piece.

Originally posted by TimO
Guy, what about this bugger. It's grown 3x since I got the rock 2 months ago...

Hey I got one off those is an anemone... I think is considered an (atlantic anemone also) I feed mine small pieces off shrimp...

This something at was just growing in my sand and just never stop and still is growing. Is this also aptasia?
Sarah :)
PS: It is now in my tank I have no red slime.

timo

Originally posted by BadASStang
TimO, what kind of shrimp did you get to do this?

Scarlet stripe, I beleive. As soon as I took it out of the bag, it took to "cleaning" my hand. He's a machine! My Angel loves it, too. Clowns could care less. I haven't heard of this type eating aptasia, though, but I guess they do (god bless it!)

timo

Originally posted by bacardibombillo
Hey I got one off those is an anemone... I think is considered an (atlantic anemone also) I feed mine small pieces off shrimp...

Will it multiply? I mean, is it OK to keep it in the tank or will it become a problem?

u have good conditions in your water other wise it would not survive... yes is an anemone it moves if it wants to... as long as his tenticles dont touch any other corals your fine :) is o.k.... if he does, you just move him somewere away from the other corals, about six inches away to be safe... but he will only move if he doest like that area:) I target feed mine twice or three times a week a piece of shrimp... a small piece that will fit in his mouth. No I dont think it will multiply not really. Yeah is cool to have in the tank why u dont like it? I paid $15 for mine up at Mass... clown fish dont recognize them... is not a problem !!! later!!!!!!:D
Cleaner Shrimps are the best creatures u can buy... they are harty and fun to watch and clean your fishes parasites and your tank ;)