Aptasia

beth

Administrator
Staff member
O My: I knew had a few of these besty beasts, but I took down my canopy today to do some maintenance and noticed several large aptasias growing in the back of my tank....of course in inaccessible location.......way down on the back of the rock work.
GEEZ. Any suggestions. I really didn't want a butterfly fish, but I might just have to consider it.

clarkiiboi

Beth, I would only assume that there is nothing else (coral wise) on the back of these rocks, so could you try to use a turkey baster with the kalk mix as close as you can get to them? Or maybe its time for a new aquascape J/K. I dont know any tricks to pass on to you, but maybe another member will chime in soon. Good luck.

jonthefb

hook a syringe filled with kalk paste up to a peice of flexi airline tubing that way you can maneuvere directly over the anem!
good luck, you could also try big peps!
jon

ryebread

We do tank maintenance at work and get rid of Aiptasia all day long in our accounts tanks as well as our own.
I have found that what works best is to pump them babies full of either "Kalk Paste" or a product called Stop Aiptasia. Both of these work very well.......they usually get them on the first try, sometimes you have to blast them again.
The Kalk paste is easy........just mix up a lot of Kalk and a little bit of water or White Vinegar.
The Stop Aiptasia works well if you keep it refridgerated....... somehow it loses it's power if you let it sit out of the fridge.
Any access to syringes?

timsedwards

any access to syringes?
LOL! better left unsaid i think!
have you got any peppermint shrimp? the lysmata wurdemanni variety will chomp them.
Tim.

squidd

You don't really need a syringe with a needle to "inject" the aptasia.Some are too small anyway.
A titrating syringe from a test kit will work or you can get a 5ml "baby med dosing" syringe at the grocery store for about $2.00.
If it's not long enough to reach in the back of the tank you can add a piece of airline tubing to the end to extend it's reach.
Mix a 1/2 ts. Kalk with 2ml "hot" water and feed directly in the mouth of offending aptasia they will shrivel and retract instantly. Put a "little" glop over the hole they crawl into, wait 5 minutes and then "suck out" the remains with the same "syringe".
:cool:

timsedwards

interesting point....what if you dont suck out the remains? surely they would have been chemically burnt and incapable of reproducing further?
Any thoughts?
Tim.

squidd

I don't know "for sure"... But I Ain't Takin No Chances...:D
Plus if you are doing a number at a time this will remove the "excess" Kalk from the water and prevent any drastic PH changes.

timsedwards

true but unless you are absolutely blitzing the whole of your tank, that amount of kalk shouldnt make any big difference.
Tim.

squidd

Probably not...But, often you will find Aptasia mixed in and among your other corals.
So after killing the offending unit you may want to remove the paste before a "localized" PH swing affects the good neighbors...;)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately none are near any other animals.
I appreciate all input, but please keep in mind that I am a DIY dummy. Thus all the rigged up syringes you are suggesting just went over my head.
Can you please :D help me out with the details. I can certainly do the kalk, as they are not near animals.
Flexiable syringe rigs?
I have already tried Stop Aiptasia and they are just too inaccessible to use that syringe. They are down on the bottom of the rear of my tank attached to rockwork.....I can hardly get my hand in there.
Peppermint shrimp is an option....I recently lost my scarlet [he never killed them]. I could add that and not feed for a few days until they get to it.

z28

just used kalk!.........looked like they were saying....."i'm melting".......worked awsome...had one that was like the size of a nickle....operative word."had"........did get a lil bit on the polops beside it.........so be carful using the kalk..........but i worked like a charm!........as for the syringe thing......................use a lil syringe that came with a test kit and put a piece of airline tubing on it to direct the klak. will work slick..then when ya doen just rinse it real good..........good luck

squidd

But...But...I got the syringe and the air line tubing....
I just can't figure out which end of the tubing to stick on the syringe...:confused:
:D :D :D

I

iluvfish

I am a DIY dummy
Beth, You and me both!:D
RyeBread - I love the detailed explanation! I know who to turn to for my DIY help!:D :D :D