Apt's in my Chaeto

tscuda

I got a case of Aptaisa in my Chaeto. I was thinking of putting it in my qt instead of shreading it for Joe's Juice. How long would it take to starve them?? It's about the size of a basketball. I'll put food on the other side (with some clean Chaeto) to feed the pods.

old joe

How do ? The best stuff in the world to rid a tank of aptasia is Aptasia-X.
I've used it a lot and it is indeed reef safe and kills aptasia in about 2 minutes.
The stuff is applied with a seringe directly on the things mantle... then watch them go bye-bye !

As far as starving aptasia... it'll never happen. These devils flourish in the dark; in the light; with or without food... depth charges dont kill 'em either.
Anyway, there was a video on YouTube about Aptasia-X... recommend you view it... along with a zillion other excelent reef videos.

nigerbang

Or a cheaper route would be going to walmart and buying Mrs. Wages pickling lime.. Its the exact same thing as kalkwasser... mix it with some RO water until its like a paste and just smear it onto them and it will kill them.. I think you can buy a lb of it for like $2
Alot cheaper then other products

spanko

If it were me I would can that batch of Chaeto, inspect the sumpfuge or display, wherever you were keeping it for more of them. Deal with them there if you have them and then just get some new Chaeto. Not worth messing with when they are in a bundle of algae like that IMO.

windlasher

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3052164
If it were me I would can that batch of Chaeto, inspect the sumpfuge or display, wherever you were keeping it for more of them. Deal with them there if you have them and then just get some new Chaeto. Not worth messing with when they are in a bundle of algae like that IMO.
- Why Bother? - Get More Chaeto.

tscuda

The reason I want to keep the Chaeto is it would probably be a 50 dollar ball at thr lfs. And with the number of pods in it I'd find it hard to just throw it away. And yes I know about Joe's And Aptaisa X. I was just trying to do it without tearing it all apart.

aquaknight

You could just stick the chaeto in a bucket with copper. That would kill the apt's, but it would take a while. Probably 5 days to kill, and then other 5 or so for the chaeto to filter out the remaining copper after you thoroughly cleaned/changed the water out/dried the chaeto/etc...

spanko

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3053106
You could just stick the chaeto in a bucket with copper. That would kill the apt's, but it would take a while. Probably 5 days to kill, and then other 5 or so for the chaeto to filter out the remaining copper after you thoroughly cleaned/changed the water out/dried the chaeto/etc...
Would that also kill the pods he is trying to save???

aquaknight

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3053260
Would that also kill the pods he is trying to save???
Yes it would. I suppose the pods should reseed the chaeto fairly quickly. Stuff like mini-brittle stars, etc would take longer. Only way off the top of my head to get 100% of the aiptasia's though...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Keep the cheato in its own QT and use the Joe's Juice.
Now, I'd like to see a basketball sized aip. Got a picture?
Also, what do you mean when you refer to the "other side" ? In order to be effective in eradicating, the cheato with the aip has to be completely isolated.