Aqua C Remora Skimmer...when?

fenwaypark

I've decided on the Remora but how long do I wait with a new tank before I need the skimmer. I have read a couple months, but what am I looking for to trigger the use of a skimmer? A film on the surface of the water? I plan on having all the gear purchased before the water, LR and LS get hear but I know the use of skimmer is not recommended right off the bat. Whats the dilly?

rs1831

You can wait until you're ready to put fish in. There really won't be anything for the skimmer to pull out until fish are in there anyways.

fenwaypark

Should the skimmer be on there as soon as the fish go in? I thought I read that it wasn't necessary for a couple months even with fish in the bowl.

xdave

Your almost always better of using something before you need it than after. Does it work, fit, leak, have all the parts? You'll want to know all this enough in advance to remedy any problems.

dragonzim

You can throw it on at any point before you have fish. If you've got any liverock curing in your tank now you may want to get it on there now though. It will help pull out anything that is coming off the curing rock.

daveverdo

Hi,
Yuk, helping a Sox fan, I hope my family doesn't find out about this.
I just set up a tank with AquaC Remora and will be adding LR and some LS as soon as the UPS guy gets here. I have a new Remora and the instructions said it has a break in period of up to a week. I have it running on the tank already but it probably isn't needed. It has been running since Saturday and is starting to produce a very wet foam, exactly what the instructions said it would do. I'll let you know in a few days how much it is skimming with the LR and LS in the tank.
If you don't start it now, get it going before you get your fish because of the break-in period.
Dave
Sorry to hear about Ortiz, he is the only one of you guys I like. Hope it is nothing serious.

engineer

Great choice for skimmer, I agree, as soon as possible that skimmer needs time to break in, plus like joker said youll be suprised what it pulls out!!!

anonome

Excellent choice of skimmer. I have the Aqua C Remora Pro and have loved it since day one. Put yours on now. You can never have too clean of water!! You will be amazed at the smelly gook that comes out of it. It will also help with unwanted algae blooms.