aqua C Urchin Pro skimmer, which pump?

jacrmill

I am going to finally get a new skimmer and I think I am going to get an Urchin Pro, but it is offered with 2 different pumps, the rio 1400 and the mag 350. The one with the mag is $20 more expensive, is it worth it? This skimmer is probably way overkill for my tank, but I am so sick of hair algae, that I dont care. I have a 37 tank, with a 10 gallon sump. Right now I have a royal gramma, a six line and will eventually add a flame angel, a goby and maybe 1 small fish. I know that both skimmers are probably more than enough, but if the skimmer will work a lot better for an extra $20, Id be happy to spend the money. what do you guys think?

stanlalee

a) I would go with the mag b) not overkill at all, just about right c) you would probably be better served getting a phospate/media reactor to combat hair algae. cheaper ($40 plus small powerhead and phoshate removal media) and generally the cause of algae outbreaks 90% of the time. No way those two small fish are causing a waste removal problem with regular water changes and moderate feeding (every other day would suffice for those). what skimmer do you have now?

jacrmill

right now I am running a prizm skimmer. Its about 6 years old, but still pulls out crap. I also have a sump with about a softball size a chaeto. I was going to get the new skimmer before I added more fish. By the way, I do feed every other day.

jacrmill

you make a really good point about such a small load, and my algae problem is significant. I am still going to get the skimmer, but I think I might get a phophate reactor also. What about the viaAqua Poly-reactor? it is $35 and it comes with a pump. It has great ratings from the place I purchase, anybody here used it?