Aqua Medic or Via Aqua chillers?

richard rendos

I have a ViaAqua on my 33 cube. I think these chillers are a waste on anything larger than a 30-35 gallon tank depending on how much pull down you need. They are basically like a radiator design. Water flows through fins that have a fan blowing on them. They are very dependant on ambient room temperature. I would not buy another.

chris l

Richard.....does the unit you have use freon (R134A)? My tank is 44g and I need it to drop around 5 degrees.

chris l

Richard .....I am not trying to insult your inteligence but are you sure you don't have the aqua medic. I have read the features on both and the aqua medic uses thermoelectricity and the Via Aqua uses freon. Here are the details of the Via Aqua. Once again thanks for your help.
Features -
* TITANIUM HEAT EXCHANGER for maximum salt water corrosion protection
* Only unit on the market currently which utilizes super high efficient UL/CE rotary compressor
* Quieter than 9 out of 10 chillers on the market
* Good for up to 100 gallon tank and 10 degree pulldown
* Digital Temperature control
* LCD displays water temperature
* Controller turns unit on when temperature rises 1.5 degree
* R134a Refrigerant
* Recommended 100-400GPH flow
* Dimensions 14.4"x12"x10.2"
* 3/4 Inlet/Outlet
* 3/4" Tubing included!
* 120V 60Hz operation
* 1 year manufacturer warranty

kingzfan

Originally posted by hawaii50
I have a ViaAqua and I love it for my 55gal. Works gret and got it for 300 off ---- brand new.

I have to agree with Hawaii50. I got mine off of ---- for around the same price. One of the best investments I could have made. I don't run the air conditioner as much. My tank's temp is constant at 78. Great purchase. Not too expensive either

jester

Hey Chris......is that the cc25?
I've got a 180 (with about 153.24 gal water volume) and need to pull the temp down about 6 deg. I'm thinking 1 might not be enough but 2 will. any comments?

chris l

Mine took my 44 down 12 degrees in no time. I love mine, just wish my tank was running again to use it. You might be o.k. to use just one for only 6 degrees.