aquaC remora with Maxi Jet 1200

litoallie

Hey guys.. I have a 55 Gallon tank with 2 true percula clowns, 1 six line wrasse that I never see..(Wonder if he's still alive...
) , 8 peppermint shrimp (2 of them are preggos
great snacks for my fishes. and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. Also, there is a few dozen snails and crabs..
I have a fluval fx5, aquac remora with maxi jet 1200 running in my tank . Also, I have a 2 bulb T-5 lights. My questions is
1) The protein skimmer is releasing a million tiny bubbles in my tank. The user manual say that this is typical and is normal, but my question is, will this is be ok for my fishes? I heard that tiny bubbles can get stuck in their gills/ lungs...etc. I ordered the skimmer box to reduce the tiny bubbles in my tank.
2) I am thinking about setting up a quarantine tank. What size quarantine is sufficient..? 20 Gallons? I am probably going to get a Red Sea Desjardinii tang. He's about 3 inches long. He's been at the LFS for over 3 months... Should I still quarantine him?? Would it be safe to add him into the DT now? I was hoping that I can set up a QT after this guy, because he's probably going to be the largest fish I'll get for this tank... what do you think???
3)IF you were me, would you make any changes to what I have set up now?
Thanks!

mike15

1) I too have a remora that occasionally releases micro-bubbles. However, over time the bubbles have decreased in number and only reappear after i do water changes. The skimmer box is a good addition but the piece used to attach it to the powerhead is rather cheap so make sure you get it to fit safely and tightly.
As for the bubbles harming fish gills and lungs, there is much debate. I personally don't see the harm since fish in the wild are exposed to micro-bubbles all the time from colliding waves and such. Anyways, if you want to reduce the bubble output further, I have seen several remora mods online where a piece of thin plastic is placed within the skimmer and can "catch" a good amount of the bubbles.
2) Definately get a Quarentine tank. The worst thing in the world is having a disease outbreak because the fish was not quarentined. 20 gallons is fine but as it is a seperate tank, it too will need to go through a full cycle if you plan on keeping it up at all times. I would recommend quarentining all new arrivals despite how long they have been at the fish store.
3) The only change i can think of would be to reconsider getting the tang. I believe Desjardinii tangs get up to 15 inches long which is WAY too big for a 55 gallon tank. If you do decide on getting him, you will inevitably have to give him away when he grows too big. Even the smallest of tangs should be housed in nothing smaller than a 75 gallon tank. I guess you could get him but, as I said, he will eventually outgrow the tank.
Hope this helps,
Mike15.

timbodmb

Hey-
I too have the aqua c remaora... Don't even bother with the mechanism to hold it onto the motor. Mine constantly fell off. very annoying. I ended up drilling 4 holes 1/4" and inserted suction cups. Stays tight to the glass, is easily adjustable up and down for the water level, easier to take off and clean, and rarely moves. I was so glad I did this. Saves a lot of frustration. I suggest you do it right in the beginning.