AquaC Skimmer Question

jpc763

Can you put a Remora into your sump or is it only hang on the back? I am looking for a new skimmer and found a remora for a good price. I know the new Urchin is the "In Sump" model, but was just wondering if the Remora could go in the sump as well.

chilwil84

i hang mine on my 20 long. it sits high and needs to be supported but i have so much ---- under near it i dont have any problems keeping it in place

jpc763

Originally Posted by Isistius
no. the remora is their hob model. the urchin is their in-sump model
Thanks, then I will look for the Urchin. I need an "in sump" model.

B

blackaero1

while its not designed for it I have heard of some people doing it with good results.

salty blues

Originally Posted by jpc763
Can you put a Remora into your sump or is it only hang on the back? I am looking for a new skimmer and found a remora for a good price. I know the new Urchin is the "In Sump" model, but was just wondering if the Remora could go in the sump as well.
I have a Remora hanging on my 14 gal sump.
See pic:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/...splay004kj8.jpg

B

blackaero1

keep in mind, the nice thing of having a true in sump skimmer is if something happens and it overflows, it goes into the sump. The hang on model will overflow onto the floor.

salty blues

Originally Posted by blackaero1
keep in mind, the nice thing of having a true in sump skimmer is if something happens and it overflows, it goes into the sump. The hang on model will overflow onto the floor.
Well, actually the way the Remora is designed I don't see how it could overflow unless you intentionally blocked the outflow port. However, to each his own. Use what works best for you.

theappe3

you could hang the remora on the sump... just make sure the pump is in the bottom of the water and your set

B

blackaero1

I've never used the remora so I wasn't sure how it was set up. I have seen some HOB styles that if left unchecked would easily overflow onto the floor. I'm using an in sump myself so if I forget to check it for a few days and junk starts overflowing it falls back into the sump. Not the best thing, but better than on the floor.

smork81

I have the aqua c remora on my sump also its HOB. Mine has never overflown before. The only thing that I see that would overflow is the skimmate holder on top. There is a hole in the top of the skimmer cup lid and if you let that fill up it will bubble out and you will have nasty skimmate all over the place. So on the remora you will just have to empty the skimmate holder and you won't have any problems with it ever overflowing. I have had mine for over 2 years now and it has never overflowed....Hopefully it never will.

jpc763

I picked up an Urchin today off that guys list. Craig something
$85 complete

Can you say "Goodbye SeaClone 100"?

reefkprz

I have my remora hanging on my sump. now I was running it HOB tank but I hated seeing it. so I hung it on my sump.

apu701

hey i got a remora too. I got it used for 50 and then 19 for a maxi jet 1200.
well anyway to sort of hijack this: Any body happy with this performance. All i get is tea and raising the cup doesnt skim anything. anyone change over to a mag 3?? or even mag 5 pump??? i been all over the place with this but so far no clear answer to how much better it is with a mag 5?? anyone?