aquaC skimmer

iamjoshieg

I set up my first reef tank two weeks ago, a 55 gallon tank with 40 pounds off live rock and I am using an AquaC remora skimmer. I dont exactly know how the skimmer is supposed to function, but the cup fills up with water withen five minutes and foam overflows out of the hole in the cap of the collection cup. Do you think this will stop over time? Am I supposed to empty the collection cup daily?

keith burn

(I set up my first reef tank two weeks ago) the tank in not reddy for a skimmer.
do your self a favor remove it for now the tank will not need it until after the cycle is complete.
READ more about reef tanks first will save a alot of time/money/fish...
most skimmers have setings on it to do wet or dry foam i run my dry and clean it one or two times a week

promisetbg

You need the protein skimmer..keep it. Do you have a ball valve in place to adjust the flow? What type of pump are you using on it? The water should come into the tower chamber, but only the foam should work up into the cup. Do you have any local reefers, a club perhaps... with someone that could help you? Where are you located...not specifically, but what town...maybe I can help locate a club for you.

iamjoshieg

I am using an maxi jet 1200, I do not exactly know how to adjust the flow on the pump. I have moved the O ring down quite a bit so the cup is positioned higher, but water still flows into the cup and foam comes out of the top. The water starts off as foam, but then it quickly turns into water. I live in Waldorf, MD. That would be great if I could find a club around here; Theres no real fish stores anywhere near me at all.

promisetbg

CMAS~ Chesapeake Marine Aquarium Society ,DRC~ Delaware Reef Club,SMMAS ~Southern Maryland Marine Aquarium Society,WAMAS~ Washington D.C. Area Marine Aquarist Society, WEST-MARC~ Western-Maryland Area Reef Club.
Not sure if any of these work, but hopefully one is close enough for you.

jsteph24

After it breaks in (can take a couple weeks) it should start slowing down. Mine did the same exact thing for the first week I had it. Just looked like dirty water coming out. I had the drain fitting and a hose running to a bucket under my tank so I didnt need to worry about it overflowing that fast. My advice would be to use the rubber ring and put the cup as high as it will go. Also check the cup often for the first couple weeks (couple times a day at least). Don't worry the Remora is a pretty simple set up. No adjustments need to be made to anything other than the cup. Also I would recommend putting petroleum jelly on the rubber band thing as it can crack in time.

jsteph24

Well when i say check the cup I mean look at it. If it is getting full then yes, empty it. Just keep looking at it so it doesnt overflow!

jrandolph1

If you have an air adjustment open it all the way and close it little by little. You have a wet foam mix running in the skimmer. That is caused by having to much water pressure and not enough air in the mix to dry the mix a little. Or you have added something chemmical wise that is causing the fome into over drive. When I used some red slime remover in my tank it made some serious foam.

althemean

I have the same skimmer. At first it produced the wet foam. But the last few days, the foam no longer rises. Nothing goes into the collection cup. Any thoughts on this?
Sorry to highjack your thread...but it all relates to the aquac...

jsteph24

Originally Posted by althemean
I have the same skimmer. At first it produced the wet foam. But the last few days, the foam no longer rises. Nothing goes into the collection cup. Any thoughts on this?
Sorry to highjack your thread...but it all relates to the aquac...
Try lowering the collection cup. You may have it raised too high. Either that or your tank may just not have anything to skim off of it yet. Also if you put your hands in the water, oils etc., can cause it to be funky.

joe 09

the aqua c has no adjustments on it .if you are using any additives to the tank it will make your skimmer go crazy.

helpme74

i have this same model and yes they do fill up at first but they can't overflow .
and yes it will slow down i have a 75 reef ready tank and my cup fills up about one time a week . give it time.