aquacultured live rock

meadiva

hi I am new to the reef world, I have had a salt water tank for almost 4 years with very little trouble other than mass murderer fish problems.
Now hubby wants to change over to reef, I dont know much but have been reading. I cant seem to figure out what lr I need to "cure". I want the aquacultured live rock from SWF but will I have to cure it when it gets here? wont that kill off the neat stuff growing on it?
The one I got now came from the lfs and they said it was all ready to be put in a tank as is. Not much on it, and its mostly white w/ some skeletons. I like the look and knowing its aquacultured of the one on SWF.
so got any info for me please?

attml

Your rock has some coralline algae on it. If you add a calcium/alkalinity buffer to your tank daily your coralline will start to grow which is a good thing. I have never gotten the SWF.com aqua-cultured LR but when I set up my first tank a few years ago I used Florida Aquaculture rock and I liked it a lot. It is a little heavier than Fiji and some of the others but it was covered with great marine growth. Also, I am a big fan of in tank curing but that may not be an option it you already have a lot of fish from your FO tank!

nm reef

No...calcium & alkalinity suppliments should not affect fish...unless for some reason the water chemistry get seriously out of balance.
I prefer Fiji LR over most of the aquacultured stuff I've seen available. The fiji is much lighter and more porous than the aquacultured...and usually has far fewer pest hitchhikers. If you get well cured LR there should be no problem adding it to a already established tank...just add smaller amounts at a time and insure it is well cured.