Aquacultured SPS?

pitbull01

Hey guys,
I am getting a 260 watt PC fixture for my 55 gallon and I plan to do LPS, softies, and mushrooms. However, my LFS now aquacultures their SPS corals so they are already used to aquarium lighting...I have been told and have read that if they are aquacultured-I can keep them. Is this true? They would be at the top of my rockwork...
-Adam

db

You won't be able to keep SPS healthy under those lighting. Even montiporas probably wouldn't do that well. Even if they live they will probably be brown due to low lighting.

pitbull01

That is what I heard with wild ones...but I have read and been told that I can keep AQUACULTURED ones at the top, n/p. This is because they are already used to aquarium lighting and are not AS sun needing-I would have 4 watts per gallon in my 55 but with my water displacement my tank holds less than that so really it is like 5 watts per gallon. Wouldn't that be enough? They would be at the VERY TOP of my rocks.

murph145

aquacuktured are supposed to be easier to keep since they were raised in an aquarium but chances are they were raised under Mh lighting.... i wouldnt attempt it im pretty sure end result would be a dead acro or a very unhealthy one to say the least.....

db

Aqua Cultured can also mean grown in the ocean. I have a number of Bali Aquacultured pieces which are all grown in the ocean. Some like ORA are grown under both natural and MH lighting. There are no aqua culture facilities using anthing less than MH. Acros need MH to keep their colors and to grow.

pitbull01

No, I am not talking about that. I am talking about them raising them in a large rubbermaid tub...I'll have 6 watts a gallon. ( I upped it to 340 watts) I will try, because I think it will work-I have seen acropora do very well under PC's.

connor

christmas is coming up and if you save all your money and your parents give you money to buy it you should have enough. Im saving al the money i can get and i watch my cousin alot and my mom and dad said they will pay the rest of what i dont have so i can get metal halide lighting for clams and sps!