Aqualine Aqualspace light

farlow

I am looking at redoing the lighting for my tank so I can start doing Corals. I posted a message earlier about VHO vx MH. I've decided on MH, actually HQI.
I'm looking at the Aqualine AquaSpace light :
http://www.ab-aqualine.de/eng/produk...spacelight.htm
Specifically the 6' long one with 3xHQI's and 3XPC's, now I can't decide if I want/need the 150W or 250W.
I have the normal 6' 125G tank. I want a light I'm not going to "grow" out of and want it to be with me for the long haul.
Any opinons about this light? Is it really the best for my money (I think I've been quoted anywhere from 1200-1300.00).
-Scott

brooklyn johnny

www.championlighting.com has the one you are looking for either $910 (150 watt) or $1040 (250 watt). I have no personal experience with this enclosure but I would lean towards the 250 watters, as you will eventually (if not already) fall in love with the light loving sps corals. Also I believe it comes with 4 24-watt PCs. Good luck...

brooklyn johnny

By the way those prices are very economical for an enclosure. Any way you look at it you will be spending around $1000 or more. My advice would be to get what you really want, even if it is a few hundred dollars more. Just wait longer if you have to to save up.

azonic

The light you choose depends on the corals you wish to keep. The 150's would be fine for most everything, some things may need a high placement in the tank. If you plan to keep clams I would go with the 250's for sure. The 250's won't limit you at all. If you got cash up the yin-yang, get 400 watters!

farlow

I don't have cash up the yin-yang but I do want to make sure I get what's right and don't have to replace in less then a year. I hate to waste money on somethign I'm pretty sure I won't get a return on by re-selling it to someone else jsut getting started.
So, again... From what I read the 250W -should- be plenty since it has the PC's with it as well.
Now, any recomendations for anyone who knows good sites with these type of lights?
I've asked around and it seems that for HQI's and this type of hood that the Aqualine is amung the best, but I cna't find anyone online who has them. It has fan cooled, hanging wires, ect.

slick

It dosent matter what kind of lights you buy. You will still have to replace them once a year.

brooklyn johnny

Farlow just so everyone is on the right page, you are talking about not wanting to replace the entire lighting system, not just the bulbs. As slick says, you will have to replace the bulbs at least once a year on any lighting system

farlow

Correct right now I have nowhere near enough light to keep anything but fish.
I want a whole new light system.
It's interesting to hear all the different hobbiest views on PC vs VHO, MH vs HQ. Some people claim heat from MH/HQI is way to high other say they see little difference from those to PC's (I don't believe it because MH bulbs feel hotter when sticking your hand below the fixture).
Some people say 250W min, others say 150W is all a 125G needs. Some say 400W! 400W! 400W!.
I want to stay economical but not have to worry about lighting when dealwith with coral growth issues.

brooklyn johnny

I have seen many MH setups from people in my club. One close friend from the club has 3 250s on his 125 with PCs (almost what you are looking at) and he has many sps growing nicely with good color. IMO if I were you I would go with at least 250s. You can go with 400s, although aside from the initial cost, you will have 450 more watts of light running and will obviously have a higher electric bill. IMO the 400s are not worth it on a 125, unless you are

[hr]
into sps and have the $$. On 150s, 180s, and other deeper tanks 400s would be more justified.
150s or 175s would be okay even if all you wanted were softies and LPS, but from the input I get from you you should lean toward the 250s. People have been very happy with the double ended HQI bulbs. Between VHO and PC, I like both, but for different reasons. For smaller tanks I like PC, which I have on my 10 gallon nano. However, for actinic supplementation of larger tanks myself and friends from the club like VHO, as large PC bulbs are more fragile. If you have the money and want a nice finished enclosure, I would go with the setup you have been looking at with the 250s. This should always keep you happy.
As always you will hear different opinions, but these are mine. Get some others, and form your own ;)