Aquapod Mods

zach

I just got a 24 gallon Aquapod Deluxe, and I was wondering what kind of modifications you guys would suggest? Also, I ran into a problem as I was trying to install a powerhead, I noticed that there were not enough holes in the back for the cord. I couldn't fit two cords into one hole either, so for all of you who have an Aquapod, how did you get your powerheads in? Do I need to make a "custom" hole in the back or what?

jacksonpt

I blocked the lower 2 intake vents in the first chamber and replaced the stock pump with a MJ 900 (I have the 12g AP).

rad

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I blocked the lower 2 intake vents
in the first chamber and replaced the stock pump with a MJ 900 (I have the 12g AP).
How exactly did you do that? Hopefully it can be done with water in the tank. My shrimp chills there to eat because he knows that the food at some point will get sucked thru there so blocking those off would be nice.

jacksonpt

I picked up a cheap piece of 8x10 plexi at lowes, then just used a utility knife to cut it to size/shape. I filled the chamber with LR rubble to keep the plexi pressed up against the vents. Seems to work well.

zach

Thank you for all the ideas guys, but does anyone know how to get a powerhead in there? I'm still having trouble with that.
Also, where can I get the pump upgrade?

jacksonpt

a powerhead in where? most people just replace the stock pump with a larger one to get more water flow. There is no "pump upgrade"... just purchase a Maxi-Jet 900 for the AP12 or a Maxi-Jet 1200 for an AP24 and replace the stock pump with the powerhead.

zanoshanox

I think the just wanted to put like a small rio in there for flow. But the pump upgrade would provide the same effect.

nictavius

On my 24G I just put two cords in the same hole.....That was until i just got rid of the whole hood all together....I guess you could take off the hood and drill another hole if you wanted too....

nudilove

I have a 24ap and love it, however I removed all of the blue sponge on the right, its a nitrate fest. As well as the bioballs and ceramic medium (slowly over two or three weeks) and added LR rubble instead. I opened up ALL of the vents on the right hand side and inserted loosely rolled filter floss because it is cheap and can be thrown away every two or three water changes.
The main pump I replaced with a Rio 1200 which is about 295gph, its A LOT of flow, if you have non flow loving animals like xenia , I recommend something smaller. I also drilled two holes in the back of the tank to accomodate extra cords, but if you have the money to invest, rip the whole hood off and get a sunpod. They come in 20" at 70 and 150w MH. The tank runs MUCH cooler this way. The hood seemed to turn it into a pressure cooker. My PH stays up better as well thanks to the Oxygen exchange.
Heres the tank, you cant see the little powerhead I hid in the rock work.

nudilove

PS the white stuff at the top left is just a patch of filter floss I clipped over the outlet for the pump, when my water gets lower at night since I topoff in the morning, it gets a bit noisy and I'm a light sleeper.

zach

Thanks! That helped a lot...I will definitaly use those suggestions this weekend, I'm going to be working on it a lot over the weekend.

zach

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but I'm having trouble getting the hood off of my tank? Does anyone know how to remove the hood on a 24 gal AquaPod?

lxoxsxi

I blocked the lower 2 intake vents in the first chamber
whats the purpose for this? wouldn't you get more flow if you left them open, letting you use a 1200 if you wanted? Just curious...

bs21

Originally Posted by lxoxsxi
whats the purpose for this? wouldn't you get more flow if you left them open, letting you use a 1200 if you wanted? Just curious...
to get better surface skimming so you don't get a film on the surface of the water.
sorry i'm not sure how to take the hood off

nictavius

To get the hood off there are two hinges in the back....They are attached to the tank with little plastic pieces in a slot....You pretty much have to just pull on it....you can take a screw driver and push on the bottom....It's kind of hard to explain.....just go and pull on it.....HAHA