Aquapod/nano cube thread

zanoshanox

Hi,
i just got my buddy a 24 aquapod deluxe, we've got it set up but i think he should make some mods to it and we're eager to see what others with these tanks look like. I'm thinking of setting up a 12 myself, along w. my larger tank.
SO here's the deal, post pics of your aquapods/nano cube/biocubes/other...and give descripion of tank, including MODIFICATIONS, livestock, etc. Show off your nano's...

bs21

i don't have pics right now but can tell you some of the mods ive made on my 12g aquapod.
1. removed ceramic rings/bioballs/sponge from back section and replaced rings and bioballs w/ live rock rubble (leaves the option of making a fuge back there later)
2. Blocked bottom two intakes so it surface skimed better otherwise i was getting a film on top (cheap piece of acryllic from lowes didnt have to glue it or anything)
3. replaced stock pump w/ MJ 900
4. removed the bottom slats of the vent over the fan to increase air flow when lights are on ( so far seems to keep tank cooler by about 2 degrees)

nictavius

I don't know why everyone is saying they had to purchase accrylic to block their vents????? My aquapod came with little black plastic covers for each vent......

lawman

I think too much water was being pulled through the vents under the surface and not enough skimming off the top.

langcjl

What about a skimmer in these things? I am looking into a nano tank and I see that some places recommend a small skimmer. How does the in tank skimmer fit on these things with the hood? I have been keeping larger(75&55) tanks for a few years now but am kind of confused about these smaller tanks. I see a lot of nanos here without skimmers, is a skimmer needed/recommended?

zach

A skimmer is always a good thing to have, its not "necessary" though. There are a couple of skimmers out there that are made for nano tanks, I'm can't really remember the names of them at the moment though. I'm sure someone else knows...

larryndana

i tried a fission nano skimmer, the only problems i found are
keeping the water level right and it made to many bubbles in my tank.

volitan_fa

I like the rock ;) Looks about like mine...
Anyway...I've been reading into protein skimmers in nano setups and from what I've read on some other sites (which I won't/can't mention) it's almost better to NOT use a skimmer in a nano. This is because the skimmer's apparently remove your trace elements and nutrients too fast and eventually deplete your tank. It appears the best thing to do is just stick to water changes.
Good luck!