Aquaripure Vs Midwest Sulfur Denitrifier

steve102571

I am looking to purchase some sort of denitrifier to assist in my water quality. I perform regular water changes (30% monthly), and my nitrates are usually 20-40, but I would like better. Does anyone have an opinion or real experience with either one of these. I have read the website reviews for both and both seem pretty good, albiet they use different approaches..... Either way, I believe I will eventually need 2 of the largest units, when my tank is fully stocked. Thoughts????

olemiss

I had an aquaripure denitrator. Would NEVER recommend it. It constantly clogged but I could handle the hassle of constant cleaning (messy/smells horrendous) for the nitrate tradeoff. I came home one day to a house that reaked of rotten eggs, a flow control valve failed resulting in a steady stream of water from the unit into my tank instead of the few drops a second. This removed all of the oxygen out of my tank, killing everything. This was a few years ago but I vividly remember the sting of a dead pair of mated picasso clowns. Don't know about the other one, but I learned my lesson on supposed shortcuts and now stick to good old safe water changes.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by OleMiss
http:///forum/post/3136882
I had an aquaripure denitrator. Would NEVER recommend it. It constantly clogged but I could handle the hassle of constant cleaning (messy/smells horrendous) for the nitrate tradeoff. I came home one day to a house that reaked of rotten eggs, a flow control valve failed resulting in a steady stream of water from the unit into my tank instead of the few drops a second. This removed all of the oxygen out of my tank, killing everything. This was a few years ago but I vividly remember the sting of a dead pair of mated picasso clowns. Don't know about the other one, but I learned my lesson on supposed shortcuts and now stick to good old safe water changes.
I also would not recommend a denitrator. There's nothing better then quick and simple water changes to remove nitrates and balance out your system. If you are worried about ammonia and nitrite, you could use a Fluidized Sand Bed Filter...
A few questions to get a better idea of your system:
1. How big is your tank?
2. Is it drilled?
3. Do you have a sump?
4. Can you put a sump and refugium on your tank?
5. Do you have room for a larger protein skimmer?
6. Do you have room for more live rock for better biological filtration?
Just wondering so that we can help you better...

R

rcreations

I've had good success with the Seachem Matrix stones, and that's not a chemical. It works just like your liverock, except they're smaller and very porous. Place them in a high flow area of your sump or filter.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3137051
I've had good success with the Seachem Matrix stones, and that's not a chemical. It works just like your liverock, except they're smaller and very porous. Place them in a high flow area of your sump or filter.
Matrix is excellent stuff. Do you have a reef or a FOWLR tank? Nitrates in the range you have won't hurt fish at all; but inverts are another story. Flow is critical; it is possible to have too much flow for good anaerobic bacteria growth with Matrix.

peter1215

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3138848
Matrix is excellent stuff. Do you have a reef or a FOWLR tank? Nitrates in the range you have won't hurt fish at all; but inverts are another story. Flow is critical; it is possible to have too much flow for good anaerobic bacteria growth with Matrix.
I know people in my reef club who use Seachem matrix and are very happy with it. A friend uses his in a phosphate reactor. I was planning on buying some for my 220g fowlr.

24saltydog

Just my two cents but I have a Aquaripure unit and so far the unit has worked great. I think the new units are much more refined then there earilier units. I have no problems what so ever. The unit is alittle hands on but if you can adjust the flow valve every two/three days and feed vodka every four days your good. There is steps to take if your unit does start to smell. This is a very simple and fast fix. My nitrates dropped over night from 40 to now (3 weeks of use) to 0. By far the best investment I have made on my tank. Your corals will love it. I do feel sorry for OleMiss but I don't see how the flow valve could fail. The valve is a manual adjustment ball valve. I have never seen a ball valve just open up. I don't know what the eairlier units looked like but I feel my unit is totally safe and effective. I would use this unit over the sulfur units as there is nothing to add to the tank with the Aquaripure system. Just follow the directions and you will be fine using the unit and Aauaripure's customer service is great. They answer your questions and phone every time.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by peter1215
http:///forum/post/3140817
I know people in my reef club who use Seachem matrix and are very happy with it. A friend uses his in a phosphate reactor. I was planning on buying some for my 220g fowlr.
I like anything SeaChem makes and their tech support (a very under-used resource for us, IMO) is great.They sell the Matrix-type product in several sizes. The bigger the stones, the more flow you can use and not lose the de-nitriying effect. The smallest is a product called "De-Nitrate" (duh!) and this stuff will not work unless very low flow is used; the high flow rate penetrates the media and won't allow the anaerobic bacteria to thrive. The regular "matrix" is good, but "Pond Matrix" is (IMO & IME) great for large tanks with lots of flow going through the stuff.