Aquarium Background

splash

I have a 120 gal aquarium. I am having a tough time finding a background that I can tape to the outside back of my aquarium. Right now I can see everything in the back. What I did find is too small or too "busy". I want a simple blue background. Any places on-line that sell such items? Thanks!!

wayway

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but it is an idea, You could just use blue spray paint. Its fairly simple to do, and looks really good. :happyfish :) :happyfish

salty cheese

You can also apply the paint with a roller, the 2 dollar one I bought at HD gave the back of my tank some texture.

debbie g

I hope I'm remembering this correctly...try a google search on "ocean visions" They have a background in a beautiful dark blue that you sort of "soap" it on and it doesn't peel. Gives the tank a look of greater depth. I love it. Maybe if that wasn't the correct name, someone else will jump in here.

pontius

PAINT. it looks FAR better than any other background. I prefer black (the actinic light will give it a bluish look), but blue looks good too. any background "scene" looks too gaudy for a sw tank. you can get 2 cans of spray paint for $2 and have 3 or 4 good coats, and it will look a lot better than a taped on that will cost probably $15. other than paint, the only other thing I'd consider would be having tint put on by a professional, which would probably cost $50 or more.

ratpack

i do vinyl graphics and decals. so i took 48" of black vinyl and i put it on the back . i rally really recomend this becasue you can take it out when ever you decide but while it is there will look perfect.:yes:

T

tuningvis

any way you could send some black vinal decal to me :p
for a 10gal
:D

T

thomas712

I prefer oceanvisions backgrounds, goes on with soap and water. Its easy to apply, self adheasive and can be removed if you really wanted to. You can use a magnetic algea cleaner right on it without problems.
Thomas

cliffrouse11bas

I will never put a paper background on my tank again. But you could probably find some conventional background somewhere online. You can fine anything on the internet. I would still say spray paint the tank. Just my opinion...

robchuck

Poster board is a very cheap option, but doesn't look as nice as a painted background and is hard to keep dry.

jenn-e

I just painted the back of my tank today. I really like it, no wrinkles or tape. It was easy and it looks good, you should definatley think about it.:yes:

pontius

I used the regular ole Walmart brand. flat black. whatever color you use, I'd suggest flat, not gloss

ratpack

Originally posted by jew
any way you could send some black vinal decal to me :p
for a 10gal
:D

yeah maybe. send me an eamil of your tank messures. right know i dont have a lot of black vinly because im selling the bussiness but i think i have plrenty of black vinly. this vinyl had a guaranty of 5 year in a car. so imagine in a tank where it is only expose to water.
if there is anybody else intrested i have black and blue vinyl that i mite sell and ship to you.

scgator

To all those who have painted.
Can you paint the back while there is livestock in it? I always assumed the fumes would kill the inhabitants.

T

tuningvis

Originally posted by RatPack
yeah maybe. send me an eamil of your tank messures. right know i dont have a lot of black vinly because im selling the bussiness but i think i have plrenty of black vinly. this vinyl had a guaranty of 5 year in a car. so imagine in a tank where it is only expose to water.
if there is anybody else intrested i have black and blue vinyl that i mite sell and ship to you.

jewdontknow@hotmail.com
:)

debbie g

There is also a paint made for glass. I painted my 55 with it. Only thing about it is that you really need to let it dry for hours before a second coat. I think I ended up doing 4 or 5 coats, but it does look nice. You can get it at any crafts store. I used about 3 little bottles. I painted my fish tank while it was still empty, so I did it outside so I couldn't tell you if there were fumes, but I didn't smell anything. Cost about $10 or thereabouts. Good luck.
Debbie G
P.S. (I'd still vote for the oceanvisions background though)