Aquarium Lighting 101

johnr2604

Originally Posted by Kristi518
http:///forum/post/3152347
I was curious how far from the water you had these lights placed. I have a 125gal 6'Lx20"tall and still have my old 48" 2x 250MH with 2x T5.
I'm trying to decide how far off the water to place my fixture. I want to have it far enough to reach more of the tank(sides) but low enough for the corals. I'm thinking I might need to pick up some more lighting for the ends to make up for it, but the wallet thinks otherwise.
I have my fixtures placed 5 1/2 inches off the water. You will probably wan't to add another fixture later so you get complete coverage on the tank. You can light it with two but you will want to keep the SPS under the lights and lower light stuff in the center or on the sides depending on where you place the lights.
Let me add I run HQI fixtures. If I was running SE bulbs I would probably get them up a little higher just so I wouldn't splash them.

raymond2688

new to the site and hobby
i am looking to upgrade my lighting. i have had my tank up and running for about 3 months now it is cycled and ready. i currently have a cuc in the tank and a tomato clown. my tank is a 125 G long. it is placed in my wall.
the link below is what i was looking at getting i plan on keeping a variety of corals and dont want to be to limited as to what i can get. also are the bulbs that come with this unit enough. thanks
http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...-actinic-.html

IMO That is one of the best T5 units you can buy, the individual reflector are the way to go.The stock lamps are acceptable but you could do alot bettter, if you dont mind the extra cash, around 240 bucks depending on where you buy them the lamps, upgrade before you start. The stock Current lamps will get you going, I ran my stocks for about 9 months with good growth and color in my softies. New lamps look for UVI or giessmann, I am currently running wavepoint lamps(got them through a coral trade) they are doing well but I dont have any Par readings on them so I cant tell you they are the lamps to buy.. also consider in your actinic batch mixing in some 420nM lamps (stock is 460) youll get better color, I would say three each but the with the 39watt/36" lamps probably best to do 4 460 and 2 420, for a more even distribution. Keep in mind if you mix and mach bulbs in this unit that the bulbs are 36" so what you do on the left should be on the right for even lighting.
Thats not a bad price for that fixture, but look around, sometime a few sites offer free shipping on high$ items, also look on the auction and classified sights, used is ok, but if you buy used, upgrade your lamps right from the start.
FYI we are not supposed to post links to competitor sites as a curtosy to SWF.com
Good luck

raymond2688

sorry about the link post never thought about it.
i have been mislead so much since i started this hobby by LFS that i now am doing as much research as possible.
thanks for answering so quickly

johnr2604

I agree that would be a good fixture. the sunpaq bulbs are OK but you will be better served by the bulbs fraggle rock mentioned. Also look at the ATI bulbs. Those are my favorite when it comes to T5's.