Aquarium Maintenance Business?

girlina4x4

Im not sure if this is the right place to post, so feel free to move it, mods :)
What is involved in starting up a maintenance business? I know I have a TON more to learn, but I think it would be a fun job. Who doesn't want to work with what they love? Does anyone have ANY suggestions, advice, constructive criticism, tips, etc. for me?

reefkprz

Ive done it and to be honest, fixing other peoples bad habits to their tanks is not fun. picture you have a couple hours to fix what they take a week or more to totally destroy. save yourself the heartache, and backache. it really does sound more fun than it is.

girlina4x4

Well when I was in high school I was the president of the Marine bio club, and our teacher sponsor would have me go around town doing tank maintenance. Some of them were horrible, but I got about 400 volunteer hours and still thought it was fun. Plus im incredibly patient (education major) and love teaching people

jharlow

While I do not own an aquarium maintenance business, I did take something that I was passionate about (ponds & waterfalls done right) and turned it into a full time job for myself and now three others.
To be successful in ANY business one has to have passion and a desire to succeed. If you think you would truly enjoy turning a hobby into a profession, then go for it! Just make sure you totally understand all aspects of how to operate your business and how to serve your clients the best way...

aztec reef

All u need is an ro/di unit and some maintenance equip..The rest is up to u, getting people to know u (clients), and your services should be better and cheaper than the last guy..(at least at the begining)
The rest its the easy part..
who wouldn't like a maintenance girl?

mgatdog

Start with a small amount of clients to see if you really like it.Use just basic equipment at first. So if you don't like it you don't have alot of money invested.Start with doctor's offices or other offices that have tanks in there waiting rooms.Stay away from peoples homes at first.Because they're a little more demanding at times. GOOD LUCK

mgatdog

who wouldn't like a maintenance girl?

Thats also true. To bad that you live far away . My tanks are needing some TLC .I don't have the time right now to work with them. My wife said I need to do away with them.