Aquarium of the Pacific

maxalmon

There is simply no way to describe this tank, it's all real, no fake corals. The tank is about 8' by 8' Tall... I'm pretty sure they are using natural sunlight and some. The purple acro in the middle is about 24" across just to give you some perspective. This was the one tank that had me totally bummed as it's a bow front and impossible to capture images. Almost every square inch is covered.

maxalmon

I'll have to weed thru the rest of the images, here's another Dragon....
Whats odd is that this tank was being totally ignored by everybody, which was cool with me as it gave me time to do some photography.

teresaq

Most people dont know what they are or that there is anything in the tank since they have such good camo.
Just Beatuiful. One of my favorite.
T

wangotango

Nice pics of the dragons
. That reef looks amazing too. I know what you mean about the little kids. When we went to the GA, we went as early as we could, but once we got the reef display all the little kids were there screaming "look mommy it's nemo! Look mommy it's dory!" It got old fast.
-Justin

maxalmon

The one thing that really kinda ruined it for me was that parents let their kids act like raving monsters, I was trying to capture images of the reef tank, but some guy lets his kid start kissing the tank (trying to kiss Dory), the dad thinks it funny, the kids starts slobbering and makes this huge mess on the tank surface and then the dad just walks away....I had my tripod setup and I was being ultra sensitive so that I wasn't bothering anybody, then this momzilla snorts off, about how they should ban tripods and so I blurted out, "yeah they should ban doublewide strollers as well" I swear I have never seen so many freakin strollers, it was almost like a Stephen King novel.... I had planned on spending the entire day, ended up staying about an hour and then I bailed to San Diego
I'm all for having a few days each month where public places like this have a "no stroller day"

05xrunner

Originally Posted by maxalmon
http:///forum/post/2476732
The one thing that really kinda ruined it for me was that parents let their kids act like raving monsters, I was trying to capture images of the reef tank, but some guy lets his kid start kissing the tank (trying to kiss Dory), the dad thinks it funny, the kids starts slobbering and makes this huge mess on the tank surface and then the dad just walks away....I had my tripod setup and I was being ultra sensitive so that I wasn't bothering anybody, then this momzilla snorts off, about how they should ban tripods and so I blurted out, "yeah they should ban doublewide strollers as well" I swear I have never seen so many freakin strollers, it was almost like a Stephen King novel.... I had planned on spending the entire day, ended up staying about an hour and then I bailed to San Diego
I'm all for having a few days each month where public places like this have a "no stroller day"

get use to it..best thing to do is buy faster glass so you dont need any type of tripod/monopod.

lion_crazz

Max, those are some awesome pics! Thanks for posting them.
It's a shame it was such a mad house there and you could not stay all day. I like your thinking of a few "no strollers day".

maxalmon

This was favorite tank "Anthias" I was kinda in awe at how many Anthias were in this tank and they had them all. Kinda neat being able to see so many types in one place. The tank was huge, maybe 10-12' Long

maxalmon

Here's "little Johny" His dad felt that it was Ok to let him stand on the displays and drool all over the tanks, I so wanted to blind the little guy with my flash

maxalmon

This is a colony of zoas that were in the large reef tank, if you look at the photo of the large reef tank, it's too the right of the huge purple acro, kinda towards the bottom right. This had to be about 2 foot long.

grabbitt

Wow... That blows Shedd Aquarium's reef display out of the water!
Great pics, as always. That first leafy sea dragon pic is perfect

rhagemann

Still some nice pics Max. I was in So Cal this weekend as well, just about 60 mi down the road until this morning. Went to a cpl LFS's in OC, picked up a spotted Mandarin, cleaner wrasse, a cpl zoa & Paly frags, nothing too exotic. I was kind of on a mission for a new fairy wrasse. Ended up at one of my fav LFS's in Huntington Beach...they had a cpl pairs of Hawaiian Flame Wrasses....beautiful specimens but I didn't have that kinda scratch on me so I passed.
Some very nice livestock in the stores though....we need to make a road trip!!!
Great shots, sorry you got caught up in the Graco/Evenflo 500. Forgot to tell you that was in So Cal this weekend...

cpg

I have also been to this aquarium. The reef display is unbelievable. It is great for the casual person, and the reef enthusiast. Nice pictures.