Aquarium Pharmaceutical users

0verfl0w

I just purchased their saltwater master kit to test basic water params. Has anyone had any horrible experiences with their product? Any tricks or secrets I should know about using their kits?

fishe1

Works well for me. Some of the colors are hard to distinct from one another, but for the most part its all cut and dry. Don't forget to shake the Ammonia #2 bottle 30 seconds or so before using.

misty7850

I have used them, no problems with them.. I agreee, don't forget to shake the #2 ammonia bottle for at least 30 seconds..
I use salifert now.. I just like salifert better.

0verfl0w

I'm cycling now so I figured I'd at least get something to monitor what's happening in my tank w/o having to drive the LFS every other day.

laust

i use am pharm tests... seems to work fine... if i'm doubtful, i just take a sample to the LFS, and their readings are always very similar to what my tests show.

dogstar

The ammonia test does not instruct to shake 30 seconds but the nitrate test does. Is this what you mean or is there something about shaking the ammonia that gives a better reading.
I have found that when veiwing the ammonia results is best to look at it in very bright lights. I look at mine under the tank lights.

chipmaker

I used to use the AP test kits but switched over to Seachems line of individual kits (seatest and fastest) I used to always get a false ammonia reading with the AP brand, even in freshly made rodi or bottled water........I do not in particular like bumping a vial up against a color card either.
One thing a lot of folks do not pay attention to and thats the shelf life or expiration date on lots of these tests kits cemicals....so whatever kit you buy check the shelf life (it should be marked on the bottles or packets of chemicals or even the main box.

meisacao

I have the aquar. Pharm. master test kit too. I have always had problems with the amonia test. Everything, and I do mean everything I test reads anywhere from .25 to .50 for amonia. It doesn't matter if i test bottled water, tank water or tap water, the amonia test never works. Everything else in the kit seems to work fine. I switched to the salifert amonia test but figured I would use up the rest of my aquar. Pharm. tests before I switched anything else.

murph

There seems to be something about different salt mixes that throws off AP test kits.
For example when I use Instant Ocean and test a fresh batch of change water it will show a trace of ammonia. Test the tank water and it shows 0.
I recently tried Red Sea salt mix and the nitrite portion of the AP test kit started showing a detectable trace from new change water but the ammonia portion tested zero

drew2005

I use the AP test kit also. Ive never had a problem with it. Its Nitrate #2 bottle you shake for 30 seconds not the ammonia.