Aquarium Pharmecuticals Tap Water Filter

emilaya101

Alright, so I'm curious about what you guys have to say about this filter, I think its like 40 bucks anywhere, and yes, I know an ro unit is the way to go, but it is out of the question for,me for at least 6 months
But, for the time being, I am using only tap, just plain tap, so would this be worth it to buy ? I'm thinking something that will help filter anything out of the tap is good, but would it just be a waste of the 40 dollars ?

edcook

A friend of mine has one. He has had some issues with it. You'd probably be better off getting RO water from walmart at about 25 cents a gallon until you get your RO unit.

scsinet

All it is is a DeIonization filter.
It performs chemical filtration, but it won't remove things like solids in the water.
The thing about these things is that they eat cartridges for breakfast... A $20 cartridge may make about 50 gallons or so before it exhausts and you need to replace it. An RO unit, on the other hand, has a membrane that may cost $100, but it makes 20,000+ gallons of water. RO units also have a DI cartridge as well, but because the water that goes through them has been already passed through 3 stages of filtration using far cheaper and longer lasting cartriges, you get more like 400 gallons out of a DI cartridge for those.
So although RO units are expensive, their operational costs are insanely lower.

edcook

The water it produced had a really high kH level. So every time he did a water change, he was raising the kH level in the tank even more. Eventually it started affecting his corals and fish. He lost all of his snails, and a few corals. Now that he's switched to better water, (RO) everything is getting back to normal.
Also he said it was a little tricky to adjust, but not too bad.

joshr

For now you could buy conditioner for a little over $10 bucks
But an RO unit would be the best way to go

T

tfolke1

I Bought one and Am kind of frustrated with the fittings. The "Universal" adapter that is included with it is made of plastic and kept popping of the sink faucet. I might have an off brand faucet with screwed up threads, but it was not near as simple to set up as I would have hoped. Actually I guess it was that simple, it just didn't work. I was looking for like 10 gallons a week for a water change and maybe another 5 for evap replacement but it turned into too much of a pain in the neck. I would set it up and leave it, and come back a half hour later to find that the fitting had popped off two minutes after I set it up and left. I did run enough water thru it to use up the cartridge( I figure 30 gallons or so, with hard water), but I don't think I'll be buying another cartridge. The system at my local Jewel looks pretty well maintained, I'll probably try that next.

T

tfolke1

To its credit, using it instead of tap water did wipe out my Cyano problem in 3 quick weeks.

nycbob

i hv been using it for over a year with no issue. all inverts and corals r fine. i change my cartridge every 4 weeks. it gives me about 70 gallons per cartridge. but if impossible, get a ro/di unit. i just havent look into it yet. figure if it aint broke, why mess with it.

jpc763

I agree with NYCBob. I have been using this unit for 6 months and love it. I have changed the filter 3 times so I am getting about 100 gallons per filter. I had hair algae and now it is totally gone.
Note that my tap water was excellent to start with. I really only needed the DI to get to great water and this thing provided it for me.
I was going to get a RO/DI unit, but cannot do the 1:1 good/waste water in my "high desert" area. Wasting that much water is a bad idea for me.
As far as the "universal adapter", I agree that it is a piece of junk. I did finally get it to work reliably. API sent me a second one that had the same problems, but once you figure it out it works.
So my experience is that it works. For me.

emilaya101

Well, I think my lfs has one on sale, so if they do, I'm gonna get it because if not, I'm using plain tap so I think it'll cut down on my algea, thanks for all the input :)

puffer32

Cant you buy plain RO water at your LFS or local walmart? Its not to expensive if you add your own salt. I suspect the owners of these filters that go on faucets actually have decent water to begin, not all tap water is extremely bad, depends on where you live. I had one of those aquarium phamacitical filters and it did nothing to help my tap water, which was really lousy water. Purchased water from Walmart for afew months until i upgraded to a 150, that forced me to get an RO unit.

nuro

i've been using mine for about 3 months and love it, but like soem of the previous posts, my tap water wasnt terrible to begin with.

emilaya101

Well I just found an ro on the web for 150 bucks, so maybe i'll be able to get one sooner :) I guess I'll just buy ro water until then, thanks all !

uberlink

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2592064
All it is is a DeIonization filter.
It performs chemical filtration, but it won't remove things like solids in the water.
The thing about these things is that they eat cartridges for breakfast... A $20 cartridge may make about 50 gallons or so before it exhausts and you need to replace it. An RO unit, on the other hand, has a membrane that may cost $100, but it makes 20,000+ gallons of water. RO units also have a DI cartridge as well, but because the water that goes through them has been already passed through 3 stages of filtration using far cheaper and longer lasting cartriges, you get more like 400 gallons out of a DI cartridge for those.
So although RO units are expensive, their operational costs are insanely lower.
They will actually remove solids. The real trouble is that they are designed to remove extremely small particles, which means that they also remove everything bigger. As a result, you are absolutely right that they wear out quickly.
Still, they are a cheap near-term solution...even if you'd save money within a few months. by investing in an RO or (better) RO/DI filter.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by Emilaya101
http:///forum/post/2593309
Well I just found an ro on the web for 150 bucks, so maybe i'll be able to get one sooner :) I guess I'll just buy ro water until then, thanks all !
You can find RO/DI units online for $100.00.