Aquariums coral...what kind?

i went to the aquarium today and they had this cool looking coral in a maroon clown tank. can anyone tell me what this is?? :notsure:

teen

alveopora maybe?
if thats what it is, it kinda tough to keep. just a heads up if you were considering one.

maybe, but i would definatly do alot of reaserch before i buy anything more complex than some zoo or shrooms. i just was curious and still am there were alot of things i didnt reconize. :notsure:

goingpoor

Originally Posted by puffer32
Yep, looks like a leather to me also, maybe a finger. Easy to keep.
I AGREE ITS A LEATHER JUST NOT ALL THE POLYPS ARE OPENED ON IT,

sea n life

im pretty sure it is a SEA PEN they are very hard to keep and they need a very deep sandbed at least thats what i hear i bought a huge one it was 9 inches when open it was never happy they dont like bright lights i guess i should have read on it first but i had to have it or it would have been gone when i went back

goingpoor

Sarcophyton ehrenbergi distinguishes itself from other Leather corals mainly by the length of its tentacles and the size of the opened ends of them. Another distinguishing characteristic is the fact that they seem to be extended more and for longer periods of time than in other Leather corals (S. ehrenbergi does not cover itself with a slime coating that much and not that often). This is kind of interesting as the coral remains more attractive that way for longer periods of time and does not go through the sliming as often as other Leather Corals.

teen

i thought leather too, but then i seen the white hard looking base at the bottom of the coral.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by goingpoor
Sarcophyton ehrenbergi distinguishes itself from other Leather corals mainly by the length of its tentacles and the size of the opened ends of them. Another distinguishing characteristic is the fact that they seem to be extended more and for longer periods of time than in other Leather corals (S. ehrenbergi does not cover itself with a slime coating that much and not that often). This is kind of interesting as the coral remains more attractive that way for longer periods of time and does not go through the sliming as often as other Leather Corals.
thats my guess. it definatly looks like one of my frags.

steve24

Originally Posted by sea n life
im pretty sure it is a SEA PEN they are very hard to keep and they need a very deep sandbed at least thats what i hear i bought a huge one it was 9 inches when open it was never happy they dont like bright lights i guess i should have read on it first but i had to have it or it would have been gone when i went back

i agree, it looks like a sea pen to me, just not fully open...

this is mine...

steve24

floatingfish , if the base of it was attatched to a rock i`m wrong its probably a leather...
if the base goes down between the rocks into the sand i say its a sea pen ...
steve

they had A couple and one was in the sand and the other looked like it was on the rock. all three had the same general shape of a thumb or something similar. i just looked up the name and the pic look almost identical. i am just guessing that was the correct ID.