Aquascaping and adding color tips?

hocky

Anyone have any aquascaping and color adding tips for me? I am not sure if I like the way I have the rock scaped now and have nothing to do this evening... ;-) I am also looking to add some color. I have a handful of zoo frags that will hopefully spread well for me. What other colors (I really only have enough lighting for the soft stuff) will help give me the vibrant tank that I see some others posting?

rcdude1990

it looks ok, i would suggest making a lot of caves
on the right side u really dont have any, all uu have is like rocks stacked, try to add caves on that side so the tang can play around and also on the left side there is a big gap, put a peice of rock to make a cool and big cave

rcdude1990

also it looks like u dont have that many fish, for color i suggest aq foxface, i have one and wow is it beautiful, also mayb another tang but for colorful corals i have no idea, i have a giniopara in my tank and it has like a bright green color to it

hocky

Yea, just starting to restock the tank. The tang just moved in from QT and I am probably going to pick up a Sailfin or something tomorrow to move into QT.

poop_head

I like mushrooms and ricordias. Many color variants and easy to take care of. Maybe some bright green candy canes. Maybe feather duster. I also love the pink tipped frogspawns.

hocky

I've got a few small dusters and cane frags, maybe I should add some miracle grow? ;-) I definitely want to add some frogspawn and rose bubble anemone.
I just rescaped the tank with some large caves per the advice above. I'll shoot some pictures tomorrow after it clears up and we'll see what everyone thinks.

mcbdz

I like it much better. Mushrooms give lots of color. Maybe a big open brain(LPS), sponge, suncoral. Good Luck

ghettotang

Yeah your aquascaping islooking much better. I would also try to add couple more pound of live rock in there with lots of coraline algea. Hey is that 125g tank. I also have the same tank that I'm going to start on simple reef tank soon once I sell my two 75g tank. I have a question what kind of sand are you using is that live sand. or mix of dry and live. How bags did you put into the tank to get that deep sand and how deep. I just wanted to know so that when I set up mine I know how many bags I need to buy.
Thanx
Jay

ric maniac

it looks a lot better! but if it were my tank i would take out that huge fake rock thing on the left and replace it with a nice big piece of lr.

hocky

Originally Posted by GhettoTang
Yeah your aquascaping islooking much better. I would also try to add couple more pound of live rock in there with lots of coraline algea. Hey is that 125g tank. I also have the same tank that I'm going to start on simple reef tank soon once I sell my two 75g tank. I have a question what kind of sand are you using is that live sand. or mix of dry and live. How bags did you put into the tank to get that deep sand and how deep. I just wanted to know so that when I set up mine I know how many bags I need to buy.
Thanx
Jay
It is a 125g tank and it was 125lbs of live sand for ~2-3"? of depth. I bought it on ---- for a decent price.... it all arived nice and wet.
The tank is just starting to develop its own coraline algae, although now it is all hidden due to the rock movements. Hopefully it will spread well for me.

hocky

Originally Posted by ric maniac
it looks a lot better! but if it were my tank i would take out that huge fake rock thing on the left and replace it with a nice big piece of lr.

Yea, I agree... it will happen sooner or later.

nycbob

i'd make sure ur rocks r secured. u dont want them falling off and crushing ur fish ir inverts. i'd add some leathers and cloves. they add nice colors to a reef tank.

eastland

You probably don't want to hear this, I know it's expensive...but I would double the abount of LR you have in there. It will look great, and you need more for filtration purposes.

hocky

I don't think filtration is an issue at all, amm/trites are always 0 and trates always 5 or 0. You think it would look better, though? It seems like it would just waste a lot of space in the tank and become more cluttered.

hocky

Originally Posted by nycbob
i'd make sure ur rocks r secured. u dont want them falling off and crushing ur fish ir inverts. i'd add some leathers and cloves. they add nice colors to a reef tank.
Yea, I thought about that as I put them in. Nothing stayed unless I could put a signifcant amount of force on it in any angle without it falling. It is all wedged in pretty well.