Aquascaping Help

microbat

Hey guys,
Here's my 164gal, but I am not happy with the rock formations. I don't really have an eye for this kind of thing, what would you do?

J

jstdv8

just me but im kinda partial to building up both sides and leaving the middle low or bare alltogether.
I know at least a posters here have thier that way.
check out the "share your aquarium" threads at the very bottom of the forums page

IMO, I would add more rock.
Also do you have normal rock/granite in your tank? If so, I would remove those, they will leach minerals and contaminates into your tank that you may not want. Also rock like that are too dense and won't aid in natural filtration of your tank.

microbat

Originally Posted by globaldesigns
http:///forum/post/3205245
IMO, I would add more rock.
Also do you have normal rock/granite in your tank? If so, I would remove those, they will leach minerals and contaminates into your tank that you may not want. Also rock like that are too dense and won't aid in natural filtration of your tank.
More rock will be on it's way soon.
There are two sand rocks and one other 'normal granity" type I guess, they were in the tank when it was given to me, the clown fish love hiding behind the granity looking one (I know, gotta love them technical terms) - but I'll get rid of that one as soon as hubby gets home to help me lift it! Are the sand rocks ok?

dirk_brijs

I would built up starting low on one side building up rocks towards the other side of the tank almost till they come out of the water.
Like that you can gradually built on your reef and place ecery coral lower or higher towards the water line depending how much light and flow they need.
Like that it looks too like a natural line of a coral reef running up to the surf and beach.
just my 2cents

flower

Fish only or will you want corals?
If you want corals you need a cave and some overhang cliffs. For fish you want lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide in and swim through.
Basically stack the rock and make sure to "lock" them in place. You do that by kind of twisting and turning the rocks together until they ..Lock...and won’t move, everything must be very stable. Move the sand to one side out of the way until you are done, the rock should be under the sand not on it.
You can make islands, stack rock all the way across or up the back.

gill again68

I saw a tank that did columns in the rock formations. Like what the previous post said it gives you the ability to move your corals up and down the light and water flow. I would also tell you to avoid getting your rock to close to the viewing sides of your aquarium. You will want ample room to move your glass cleaners around your rock work. Not that my tank is the beginning and end to how tanks should be done but I like the many caves and cut through holes in my rock work that I achieved when stacking my rock. Some fish really enjoy the areas to retreat into and out of when swimming. Some of my critters I dont see for hours or days but it gives my something new to look at even when they have been in there a while. Does that make sense?
I would also look at adding a sump to your setup. Its not a difficult addition and you can find many ideas to plumb non-drilled tanks. It would allow you to move your heaters and such so that it cleans up your DT.
Good luck!

teresaq

I agree , take out the none oceanic rocks
- Order some base rock (will save tons of money) (google base rock) There is also a short video on the first site on aquascaping)) and build some rock towers on each end.
Also look like your water is very low. The water should be to the plastic rim of your tank.

ryancw01

Yeah...that water level is really low...you are adding back in FRESH water when the water in the tank evaporates right?
Any tank that big has a lot of possibilities. I would wait until the rest of the rock comes in and build up 2 seperate islands. If you have all the rock scatters like that you are not getting the best of natural live rock filtration. If you make stacks or islands though you can direct the powerheads there and also will give many more nooks and crannys for small critters to breed and develop which is just additional food for the ecosystem there.

katsafados

My rocks are in a arch kinda formation its only a 10g though. IMO you just need to move thing saround untill its what you like it to be!
Heres a pic, dont mind the dirty glass.
Attachment 237085

microbat

Thanks for your replies, sorry it has been a couple of days - we have been away.
The tank is topped off with fresh, specific gravity checked every other day.
The tank itself has a capacity of around 260 gal, but the hood is very long and due to water quality, I have kept it lower to help with water changes, etc.
I am now looking at changing my substrate from crushed coral to sand. I have a big bucket of live sand and I am going to start at one side of the tank and slowly move to the other side. I'm guessing the process will take around 2 weeks or so as I don't want to stress everything.
I'll change the scape at this time as well, thanks for all of your ideas, you've all been very helpful

fishkid13

I would add more rock. And about spanko's link, for caring for the fish thing coral thing, it is good to know what fish is going to go into the tank.
Here is my 135:
Open rockwork for more water filtration through rocks, and fish have it easier to dart behind the onlooking people.
Attachment 237203
Cave, so if/when I get fish that are more timid and like darker areas they have a place to feel comfrontable.
Attachment 237204
Ledges to place corals, and have fish "hide" under.
Attachment 237205
Attachment 237206
And yes the MH came in.