Aqurium related personal business?

kogle

I know some of you run your own aquarium businesses on the side or as a full time job. I'm considering doing this more so out of curiosity than anything. What insight can any of you give in starting up something like this? Keep in mind this will be a very small time operation focusing mostly on maintenance to start out.
Thanks in advance for the helpful knowledge!

snakeblitz33

KOgle, I don't think many people are going to help you. People like me have worked hard to get the accounts that we have right now, and we're not going to give tips on how to give them away.
I got most of my tanks from referrals of satisfied customers.
Good luck, and don't quit your day job. I own a store and still work two part time jobs. I sleep on Sundays.

kogle

Well I think you guys are misunderstanding what I am asking, sorry I should have been more clear. I guess I'm just looking for info on tax ID's, and anything else needing to be done to make sure everything is legit.
I'm not looking to take anyone's business away. The way I look at it if I set up and run my business correctly that will happen on it's own. (it's a novel thought right???)
Didn't mean to freak anyone out. Obviously, none of the business would take place on here due to rules and regulations.
I'm just looking for general advice for starting up any business you know?

m0nk

Originally Posted by KOgle
http:///forum/post/2861137
Well I think you guys are misunderstanding what I am asking, sorry I should have been more clear. I guess I'm just looking for info on tax ID's, and anything else needing to be done to make sure everything is legit.
I'm not looking to take anyone's business away. The way I look at it if I set up and run my business correctly that will happen on it's own. (it's a novel thought right???)
Didn't mean to freak anyone out. Obviously, none of the business would take place on here due to rules and regulations.
I'm just looking for general advice for starting up any business you know?
A lot of that is different from state to state. What you should do if you really want to own/operate a legit business is contact your state's Chamber of Commerce and see what permits and tax accounts you may need. I know in PA, a fish store requires a livestock permit but something like a bookstore doesn't need anything special.

kogle

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2861169
A lot of that is different from state to state. What you should do if you really want to own/operate a legit business is contact your state's Chamber of Commerce and see what permits and tax accounts you may need. I know in PA, a fish store requires a livestock permit but something like a bookstore doesn't need anything special.
That's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks a ton Monk. I would have definitely overlooked something like a livestock permit.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2861179
That's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks a ton Monk. I would have definitely overlooked something like a livestock permit.
All that is regulated on the state and country level. So it really depends on where you are at.
Check zoning regulations, with the fish and wildlife department to see if they have limitations, and where he said. You also have to pay taxes quarterly to the IRS (depending on your income) plus there is state sales tax.

kogle

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2861244
All that is regulated on the state and country level. So it really depends on where you are at.
Check zoning regulations, with the fish and wildlife department to see if they have limitations, and where he said. You also have to pay taxes quarterly to the IRS (depending on your income) plus there is state sales tax.
Oh yea, you know uncle Sam wants his cut. My wife works at a law firm and they're helping me out but I know some of you guys and gals have been down this road already. Thanks for all the replies so far gang. Keep em coming!!!

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2861327
Oh yea, you know uncle Sam wants his cut. My wife works at a law firm and they're helping me out but I know some of you guys and gals have been down this road already. Thanks for all the replies so far gang. Keep em coming!!!

You've got the mother load of info right there, just go talk to them.

ophiura

You may also want to investigate insurance in case something you do breaks the tank or otherwise damages their investment.
And be prepared for random calls at any time, for anything.
Lots of local LFS are also in that business, and have a head start in terms of clients, equipment and supplies.

kogle

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2861340
You've got the mother load of info right there, just go talk to them.
Yea their Christmas party is tomorrow night so I've been told we can discuss everything over some holiday cheer!

Originally Posted by ophiura

http:///forum/post/2862091
You may also want to investigate insurance in case something you do breaks the tank or otherwise damages their investment.
And be prepared for random calls at any time, for anything.
Lots of local LFS are also in that business, and have a head start in terms of clients, equipment and supplies.
Good point on the insurance ophiura, the calls I expect. I get quite a few random calls now from "freinds of freinds" being a reef club prez but I really enjoy talking with most people. We'll see how it changes when it's constant!

snakeblitz33

Don't go through your local chamber of commerce. It costs a pretty penny and they don't help out at all. Go to your local courthouse and they should have an office there where you can get a DBA. Then, you go to your state and local tax/water and revenue office and get your tax ID numbers.
Most of the time, at the local tax and revenue office, you can also pick up a business license. They won't just give you one, however. IT costs money. They also won't let you have it without becoming insured. So, go ahead and get general liability insurance. You don't need to get a permit unless you are a fish store. You won't have access to live and dry good suppliers unless you have a "brick and morter" building. The permit is useless without a building. Just go ahead and order all of your live and dry goods off of saltwaterfish.com or another really good website and mark it up 20%.
I did this for a few years before I ever opened up my own store. Now I wish I kept doing maintenance instead of opening a store. The overhead is outrageous.
Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I can give some pretty good advice through my experience.

kogle

Hey I really appreciate it Snakeblitz. I'm talking with the attorney's my wife works for this evening. Hopefully they can give me some advice.
I know I'm starting this at the absolute worst time but if I can make it work in this economy I'm golden!
I'm sure I'll be PM'ing you within the next few weeks!
Thanks again!!!