Aragamilk

justinx

has anyone ever used this product? it came recommended by my LFS as my calcium supplement. I have been adding it daily to my tank, but i cant seem to get my calc reading (using salifert) above 380 or so. Everything else is normal, pH is at 8.2, alk is at 4 meq/l, salinity 1.025, and the big three are at 0 and have been for months. The only corals i have are listed below. I do have coralline growing noticeably, but not outrageous. how can i raise this?

broomer5

JustinX,
Your experince with Aragamilk matches what I've noticed as well.
I use it on my 30 gallon FOWLR tank for general maintenance of buffer capacity only. I still add calcium and buffers to this smaller tank - just not near as often as my reef tank.
Here's how I see it.
This stuff is ground up, pulverized aragonite ~ mixed with water.
Aragonite is composed of calcium carbonate. So you'd think that by adding this stuff to the tankwater - that you'd see levels rise in both calcium and carbonate.
But my understanding is that this Aragamilk can not raise these calcium and carbonate levels up much higher than what is found in most natural seawater. Many times reef keepers like to keep their calcium and alkalinity up a little higher than what is found in ocean water. I've realized that I still need to add calcium to the little 30 gallon tank - even when using this stuff.
In other words - I find this product to be better suited for "maintaining" your pH, buffer capacity/alkalinity and calcium - AFTER you've elevated the calcium with calcium chloride or another calcium supplement.
This is just what I've noticed - and only in a very casual way.
I don't think it's a bad product - just not going to get me where I want to get to using it all by itself.
It does seem to keep the alkalinity maintained very well, and the pH is always dead nuts at 8.3 ( actually better than in my 75 reef tank )
But I only have one single sixline wrasse and a cleaner shrimp in the 30 tank too. It's a very stable little tank - and the parameters don't swing much.
Other than that - I would not consider Aragamilk as a "great" way to increase your calcium. Better suited for maintaining it once you get it where you want it with using another method/product.

justinx

thanks for the reply. I think that you may be right because i am yet to see a swing in any of my other parameters. Do you use it daily? What do you reccomend for bringing it up a little more?

broomer5

If you saw how I take care of this little 30 gallon tank - you would smack me in the head.
It get's taken care of - but not near as much as my other tank.
I would get some Seachem Reef Advantage calcium and add some of this powder to your top off water - then top off with it.
Read the container of course - for the right dosage.
It'll bring up the calcium over 400 ppm ~ no sweat.
Expect a small drop in your alk - but you're in great shape there already.
you are right there my friend - just need that little calcium boost to get over the 400 hump :)
( assuming our test kits are right )

justinx

thanks, so you think that if i get it above 400, say around 450, the aragamilk will maintain it there? that would be really nice if it did. secondly, do you think that it is possible to overdoes on the other things in the aragamilk? What about the other ions in there that i am not testing for? could there be a problem you think? it says to use 1/2 tsp per 50gallons. i add close to this amount for my tank below. i thought that i was not getting enough calc so i kept adding more, but i am going to cut back a little now. It says that it can be added every day though. you think i might have a problem with the other things in there (carbonate, strontium, mag, and potassium)

daytonight

i dont know how true it is but i have heard that if u ur magnesium is low that the calcium wont raise up thats what i have been told hope this helps

broomer5

JustinX
I'm not saying that Aragamilk is the only additive that you or I should add to the tankwater.
My gut tells me that this liquid aragonite may help to maintain the alkalinity, but may not do much for adding much calcium.
It's still calcium carbonate mostly ( with other minerals and elements present such as strontium and magnesium ) but it's still aragonite - just ground up very very fine - and mixed with water.
Just as some believe that a sand substrate of aragonite will not dissolve and release the calcium and carbonates unless the pH falls down into the mid 7's, it may be true that this Aragamilk also reacts the same way ( or doesn't react for that matter ).
I can't say much more for sure. I bought some to try - I decided not to mess around with it in my 75 reef tank - but still use it in the smaller tank.
But as I said - it's not the ONLY additive I use either on this little tank. I still will dose some calcium and buffers now and then in between water changes.
It may do what you want it to - or it may not.
Only you will be able to tell after using it and doing some routine tests.

justinx

yeah, i know. i was just trying to make things as simple as possible though. but as with everything else in this hobby that i have found, if it is too good to be true, it probably is. oh well
thanks for the help!