Aragocrete users?

inawe

Has anyone used the aragocrete formations in their tank?
I was looking at some cool arches and thought one might be a neat addition. According to what I was reading, they are supposed to be fully cured and safe for any aquarium, and supposedly grow coraline and support all other life as well.
Any info?
cc in tx

I have made Aragocrete and it is very easy, I used a mixture of Aragonite play sand, Crushed coral, and Portland Cement, The cement will raise the PH of the water it is in, so i let my rocks cure for a month or two in a large tub of water which held the Waste water from my Ro/Di unit, i drilled an overflow and attached a pipe that went to a drain that way the water changed itself.

heres a cooler full of some of the rocks, most of my rocks i didnt use in the tank however, it was just a fun experiment, i wasent able to achieve a "natural" look with the rocks.

Yea i found mine at HD.
Some people use 6 parts Crushed coral 1 Part Cement.
But you can play around with it a bit, until you get it how u like.

inawe

You said 6 parts crushed coral, 1 part cement...How much sand? and I assume just enough water to make a doughy form?

i used 2 parts sand, 4 parts CC, 1 part cement, and mixed it into a slightly wet mix, not to wet otherwise all your rocks will be flat, and them shaped it in the CC/sand mold.

michaeltx

just be sure to cure properly before adding to your tank if not it can cause some problems if you dont. If you are looking for quick then its best to buy base or LR but if you have the time its well worth it.
Mike

IMO the crushed oyster shells look even less natural, at least the ones i used, they made my rocks flakey and fall about easily.