Aragonite sand from petsmart ?

gun freak

Have some credit from petsmart , got some sand " caribbean sand " it's aragonite sand . Hope this is good sand !!!:thinking:

dskidmore

aragonite is the best kind of sand. What particle size is it? The best is a very fine sand, with a few larger particles mixed in.

nm reef

Any clean aragonite based sand is good....I like an assortment of grain sizes and prefer a mix of oolitic sand and stuff like Carib Seas sea flor grade sands. Any aragonite type sand can work.....and I like the appearence of it over crushed coral or even bare bottoms....

snipe

I found a place that sell aragonite sand online they sell it for $1 per pound with "free shipping". It even sais right on the sight recomended for aquarium use and it gives you diffrent types to choose from.

thangbom

hum... i dont have any expo on live sand much other then to get argonite..i did a lot of research on it .. been 4 month of research actully!(hehe)
lot of reading i did.. and they all differ... talking about grain size... . im setting up a reefer right now so i went n bought 90lbs of carribean sand from home dep*t ($5 30lb)...imma seed em with lr... soo as far as im concern.. as long as it is argonite.. it's good.. ohh yeah.. i also did the vinegar bubblw test on the sand before i bought it....it fizzled..

gun freak

Thank you guys !!! Yes it's real fine ...Do I have to run in a bucket with saltwater or can I just put it in ? I do have fish and stuff in the tank , i have CC right now !!!:mad:

dskidmore

Some suggest "curing" the sand first, building up the live bacteria. Put it in a bucket with a heater and either a powerhead or an airstone. Put some of your old crushed coral in a mesh bag on top of the sand. (Fine enough of a mesh that the crushed coral can't fall out, but water can flow through.) Add a bit of fish food, and wait. You should be able to track a cycle like when you first set up your aquarium.
When the sand is ready, put as much of your remaining crushed coral as you can into mesh bags, but leave the bags in the aquarium. Each week add the top couple inches of sand from the bucket into the aquarium. (At the same time, add another pinch of food to the bucket to keep the sand cycled.) If you add the sand all at once you'll be stuck with a huge sandstorm, and the sand in the bottom of the bucket may not be cycled as well as the stuff on top. As you start to fill in the space in the display tank, take out one bag of crushed coral at a time.

shoogieboo

Originally posted by Snipe
I found a place that sell aragonite sand online they sell it for $1 per pound with "free shipping". It even sais right on the sight recomended for aquarium use and it gives you diffrent types to choose from.
[/QUOTE

shoogieboo

Originally posted by Snipe
[/QUOTE WOULD YOU KINDLY GIVE US THE WEBSITE PLEASE I JUST PAID 80 INCLUDING SHIPPING FOR 60LBS OF CARIBSEA AG SUGAR FINE LIVE SAND :eek:

snipe

I am sorry I have to tell you one of my parents must of deleted the link
I had it and some links of places that sold base rock and there gone know :mad: I am sorry.