are aggressive damsels ok with other fish?

hugo

So, I bought 4 damsels to cycle my aquarium. Two are domino and the other two are yellow tailed. Not sure the correct name. The larger domino chases all the fish around. I like them all. They're fishonalities (my word for fish personality) are great. I want to add a clown and a blue tang once I've cycled. Will these guys make life difficult for the newcomers? Should I adopt them out or can I keep them?

ll206

Damsels are only good for one thing; cycling tanks. I had 1 domino and 2 yellow tailed. I was asking myself the exact same question. Once your tank has cycled, you'll have a different mentality towards them. Get rid of them.......

coop21

I agree. I'm at that point where I need to get them out, but good luck because they're a pain in the butt to catch.

space_trigger

I had a similiar setup with a domino damsel and 3 stripped, put in a yellow tang along with a tomatoe clown, all was fine, the domino my most aggressive became the most passive along with the other one while the tomato clown became the most aggressive, it even bit my hand every time I put it in the tank, but overall the combination would work fine, of course I personally think it'll be nice just to get rid of them, i ended up just getting rid of them either way. just my .02

coralgyrl

I have 2 blue and 2 zebra stripped damsels who just fight all the time. I have tried to catch them but I can't. The blue damsel even tried to eat my Xenia. How do I get them out? In my opinion these are the worst fish to have. Very destructive!!! :p

My blue damsel killed my other two damsels. He was very aggressive until I got a tomato clown. Now he is the most laid back fish I have. I love my damsel. My tomato clown on the other hand is moody. Don't get me wrong I love all my fish, but she is just very moody. She has bit me one day when I stuck my hand in the tank to turn a snail upright. Ohwell you gotta love all your fish even when they are being mean! :)

-shawn-

I personally do not like damsels as well. They are a pain in rear. I had two blues to cycles my tank. Soon after I found out how much I didn't like them. I decided to take them out. Which wasn't very fun. I bascially tore down my whole tank to do so. I say if you want a cheap fish to cycle the tank and keep. Start with a clown...or even cheaper go with chromas, I have three in my tank and they don't bother a thing (very passive). But thats just my opinion.

fugu

i cycled a 170 g using four small dominoes. i still have them and they have not been causing a problem they do fight amongst them selves but not too aggresively as in no fins ripped etc.i have a maroon clown 4" and a rectangular trigger2" also a blue ribbon eel and some shrimps and snails, the damsels have never fought with any of the inhabitants. the best thing with cycling damsels is to make sure the fish you add are feeding well and larger than the damsels. i personally like mine they have a fiesty character and move around as a community. if i had ahad a choice i probably would have used green chromis which are usually fairly passive and school nicely giving the tank a more realistic appearance.
hope the info helps.

bobj

My latest 75 was cycled with a neon and blue damsel. They now live with a niger and picasso trigger. The size differences give this FO tank a nice community feel.