Are airstones bad for a saltwater tank?

boomper

Ive noticed some people do not recommend airstones in tanks.....is there any major problems with them, depending on substrate or size or whatever?

dacia

I've also heard that they can cause problems with any sponges that you might have in the tank.
For the most part, I think that people don't recommend them because they simply don't like to see the bubbles in their water.
And Bob is definitely correct with the salt creep problem...it will get old really fast to clean up that salt everyday. :)

T

therock0861

They are not efficient like powerheads, water pumps, and/or protein skimmers are at creating water movement in an aquarium. All of these are much better at helping with oxygen and other gas exchanges at the water's surface.
They do not move water fast enough or in adequate volume for what a tank usually needs for good all round, vertical and horizontal, water circulation. This situation can also contribute to a low or insufficient GPH (gallon per hour) tank water turnover time.
They create a lot of salt spray, that in turn contributes to salt creep problems.
They clog up.
They wear out quickly, and usually need replacing often.
They can give off irregular air flow.
Air line hoses can get pinched or kinked, which weakens or cuts off the air flow.
Many times the air pump chosen to run air stones is inadequate, resulting in low air flow pressure.
Some air flow pressure is lost the longer the distance the air has to travel through the clear tubing from the air pump to the air stones.
The deeper the tank water, the farther the air has to be pushed downhill to reach the air stones, resulting in loss of air flow pressure.

fender

Originally posted by dreeves
Air precipitates Calcium...we try to maintain certain calcium levels in our systems...

I don't think this is a concern, after all we pumps tons of air into our skimmers and try to turn the water over in the tank as much as possible for gas exchange.
The salt creep issue is the only one of any real concern. I have heard of air bubbles causing popeye in fish but haven't heard of anyone actually experiencing this. An trapped air bubble in a sponge or coral can cause a dead spot.
The main problem with the salt creep is as the bubbles surface and pop, water is splashed to surrounding surfaces. As the water on the surfaces evaps, salt is left. The salt can accumulate and make a mess.