Are all refractometers the same?

shwstpr88

I just bought one of these cause I will be doing Hypo. Can you tell me what I need to do to get it ready and calibrated, is it hard to do? I just want to get a head start before it gets here, thanks!
Thanks!

jaxfishgirl

Originally Posted by shwstpr88
http:///forum/post/3212571
I just bought one of these cause I will be doing Hypo. Can you tell me what I need to do to get it ready and calibrated, is it hard to do? I just want to get a head start before it gets here, thanks!
Thanks!
Did it come with directions? If not, can you tell what brand it is? You can maybe find directions online. i am not sure if each brand has a certain technique to calibrate. I just bought one myself and just followed the directions.

jaxfishgirl

This is how I calibrated mine, I took a few drops of RO/DI (fresh, no salt) and put it on the prism. Close down the clear plasting cover. Look into a light source, you should see a blue section and white section. there is a screw on the top and you just adjust that until where the blue and white meet is on 0.
Wipe off the RO/DI water with a soft cloth. Put a few drops of tank water on the prism and close the cover. Look into a light source and the blue/white line should be accurate.
hope that helps

xcali1985

Originally Posted by JAXFishGirl
http:///forum/post/3212597
This is how I calibrated mine, I took a few drops of RO/DI (fresh, no salt) and put it on the prism. Close down the clear plasting cover. Look into a light source, you should see a blue section and white section. there is a screw on the top and you just adjust that until where the blue and white meet is on 0.
Wipe off the RO/DI water with a soft cloth. Put a few drops of tank water on the prism and close the cover. Look into a light source and the blue/white line should be accurate.
hope that helps
Same way I did mine. The mechanics may be different but the procedure will be the same. Some even come with a calibration solution, however RODI water is more than sufficient.

mr. limpid

I got mine from this sight about two years ago, I remember that it was temp. sensitive 65 to 68 deg. refractometer needs to be.