Are Coral Banded Shrimp that evil ?

bona42na

Last week I took delivery of three pepperment shrimp among other things including emerald crabs and a serpent star. Well it wasnt more than a hour after acclimation that the CBS had one of the peppermints ,by the next morning I didnt see any left. I havent seen much of the serpent star since but the emerald crabs and lettuce nudibranches are doing OK. The CBS is always chasing after my clown as well so Im beginning to think hes more evil than imagined. He doesnt control the bristleworms so aside from his impressive looks,what do I have him for. Should he get the royal flush or a ride back to the LFS ? What are your experiences with this creature ? Thanks

hurt

I had one, the key word being HAD. After one cleaner disappeared and when I saw him eat another, it was a quick trip back to the LFS for him. They will eat other shrimp.

S

synyster11

I have had mine for 2 years. It has made it through 2 tank crashes and two tank moves. It has always been with cleaner shrimp and other inverts. It has never caused any problems. The only thing it does.. Is when I add a new coral or fish it does try to show it who's boss for a few seconds. It loves to walk up and attack a coral for a second and then thats it.. it never bothers it again. He is also very very large. I love him.

viper73184

My Coral Banded Shrimp liked to fight with my Maroon clownfish and my powder blue tang. A simple fix for an overly aggressive Coral Banded: Yank his front claws off. Mine still gets along just fine, no one bothers him and he can't hurt any of the other fish he was so hell-bent on bothering. You may not want to do this in a tank where the fish pick on him. Then it would just be cruel.

promisetbg

Originally posted by Viper73184
A simple fix for an overly aggressive Coral Banded: Yank his front claws off. You may not want to do this in a tank where the fish pick on him. Then it would just be cruel.

:nope: :scared:

clarkiiboi

I wouldn't do anything harsh--like flush it or pull its claws off :nope: . CBS have a 50/50 chance with what temperment they will have, IMO. When small they can be great additions, but its when they get big that problems may start. I had one that I still blame for my clarkii's death--I seen it with my own eyes. It was always chasing it after either the CBS injured (scratched) it or from an injury from sharp piece of LR (still uncertain what happened). If you asked me a few years ago I would of said evil, but now I know there are exceptions from reading many other posts here. But your story sounds all too familar...IMO, remove it to be be safe or just to not worry everyday.

rwhite

No real probs. here after almost 2 years. He'll "chase" anything, but nothings ever come of it. Living with 2 Skunks and Pepps in the past. We got him young and has always lived with other shrimp. Maybe if they are alone for a while and then new shrimp are added they feel more threatened.:thinking: and feel the need to defend territory. Just a guess.

the mantis

It wouldnt be a good thing yanking his claws off (as viper suggested)..Hey viper...would you like to go through life without any arms????

viper73184

In case you don't know, Coral Banded Shrimp grow their front claws back pretty quickly. Also, you don't really pull their claws off so much as they drop them. It's like a gecko's tail. Also, if he can still live the life he normally would have, then there's really no problem. The only difference is that he can't be the

[hr]
he used to be. Depending on what you have in your tank, it may or may not be a good idea to just yank his front claws off.

jenn-e

So you just rip thier claws off everytime they grow back? You should have never bought him if that's how your going to treat him. I mean your probably ripping his claws off like once a month, right?:notsure: I can't understand that, sorry.

saltymom

what about tiny rubber bands(like bunch o braids sells) to hold them shut, like they do lobsters in the supermarket??? lol... maybe not! If they "throw" their claws when you mess with them, as viper suggests, u probably wouldnt have time to get them on there? lol...its early in the morning, I prolly should b in bed, not trying to solve the problems of the world huh!! LOL