Are hardy are these fish?

mr_krabs

I know that eels are one of the most well adapted fish and they dont seem to get hurt by nitrates,ammonia,ect.. Well my nitrates are at 30 and i'm not worried about anything else(cause everything else is fine). Now to my question, hoq hardy are anglers? Are they the type of fish that if you have some nitrates they will die? And how about for a Fu manchu lion?
Thanks in advance:happyfish

liontamer

To be completely honest...i would worry about getting rid of those nitrates, and keeping them down. Becuz no fish will "thrive" in high waste levels, and that is a high waste level. Dont even think of getting another fish b4 u get those levels down. Do u even have a skimmer? Also, eels are completely invulnerable to everything...they can still die if they are breathin in their own feces...

mr_krabs

Originally posted by fishy411
he means eels are extremely hardybut can still die in an extremely dirty tank.

my tank aint extremely dirty. Anyways pack to the question please

moraym

Fu manchus have the habit of getting bacterial infections, which is usually a direct result of a dirty tank. As far an anglers go, they are above average in terms of "hardiness", but i'm not 100% sure since i've never owned one.
As far as 30 ppm nitrates killing your fish, or nitrates in general, it depends on the speed with which your nitrates rise. I had a tank for three years that due to several factors, especially certain lifestock that would always disrupt my sand bed, always had the highest nitrates I had ever seen. My nitrates in this tank were off the chart, you know, the dark burgundy at the top of the scale, that was my tank. We're talking as bad as it can get, and I never once lost a fish b/c the nitrates never "spiked", they rose slowly over months and then stayed constant at that level. Even trying 10% water changes every day for 10 days did nothing to lessen the nitrates (i think it had to do w/ my water source as well). When I purchased new fish, they were slowly acclimated over the course of several hours and they too, never died, in three years of owning the tank.
So I really wouldn't stress over nitrates too much at all unless theyre going from 0 to 90 in a day or two, and back, and repeating. The spikes are the fish killers, not the high levels themselves.

moraym

Just to add, as waste goes through the cycle - ammonia > nitrites > nitrates, it gets much less harmful. So a higher ammonia or nitrite level would worry me a lot more.
As far as eels beathing in their own feces, my 18" moray has been doing that for years, he survived three weeks when I was on vacation and my gf unplugged the filter on accident. Luckily there was a small powerhead running the gave enough oxygen, but here she was feeding him three times a day instead of once, and he had no filter for three weeks, and he never skipped a beat. I don't think i could kill my moray if i tried.

fishy411

yeah they can survive like that but i wouldnt recommend it.
i never said yur tank was extremely dirty. I was just clarifying what liontamer had already said.

moraym

I'm not recommending it either, I know my old tank was nitrate-stricken, there's just nothing i could do about it without RO/DI.
Just saying i wouldnt panic over nitrates so long as theyre slowly attaining higher levels, and not just spiking in a day or two.